cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting started: Policy creation

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

I am starting to put together a policy for our expanding wireless network. I am looking for information regarding why we would not want anyone to simply buy a Linksys or dLink access point at the local computer store and drop it into place. I know that access point manageability would be an issue and am starting to put together points regarding security but figure there is a white paper or somethng out there comparing the differences, advantages and disadvantages of using the SOHO type hardware in a corporate environment. Recommendations? Succestions? Content ideas?

2 Replies 2

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

I dont think there is any document available which compares the performance of the various APs. But i would suggest you to go for a one vendor kind of network. In most cases the reason you run into problem is when you go for multi vendor environment. When you understand the features of the AP and deploy it uniformly across the network, you should not have any problems.

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

The cheaper AP's often don't support much other than WEP security which isn't really good enough. Also, if you've got a proliferation of AP's appearing on your LAN then unless you manage them carefully you will be opening up your network to external attack.

If you want to see why you should consider a "heavy duty" AP against a cheapo unit take a look at the config utilities for a Cisco AP and a Dlink. There are a whole heap more things you can do with the Cisco and not just for security. I've also found that you generally get better range and performance from Cisco AP's over the cheaper ones.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card