Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest network with Public IP addresses!

Moudar
VIP
VIP

Hi 

I was in a restaurant which is like Mcdonald and there they have a Cisco AP with open guest network.

What was weird for me is that my mobile phone was getting public ip addresses from the AP (DHCP) like: 78.64.51.208 or 78.64.41.51

(I tested different mobiles)

Can someone who knows explain how does this work?!  specially if there are many guest users.

What i know is that the AP will check with the WLC and share any private IP pool (DHCP) with the users!

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Keep in mind that maybe… maybe… they used public ip space behind a nat. You are not limited to use private ip space when configuring a dhcp pool nor interfaces. I have seen that used in the past
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

If that was the case (using public ip space behind a nat ) is there any benefit by doing that?

You must ask yourself why would you? You have to make sure that is not routing outside your network since you don’t own it. Now it’s different if you own a large chunk and want to waste them for users… not really a good idea.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

No benefit and you shouldn't do it because it will break any real internet service on those IP addresses.

It's also possible (but very unlikely) that they actually own a block of public IPs which they're using for that but that would be very wasteful of valuable IPs.

That block is registered to Telia in Sweden:

% Information related to '78.64.0.0/12AS3301'

route: 78.64.0.0/12
descr: TELIANET-BLK
origin: AS3301
mnt-by: TELIANET-RR
created: 2007-03-16T08:55:19Z
last-modified: 2007-03-16T08:55:19Z
source: RIPE

"What i know is that the AP will check with the WLC and share any private IP pool (DHCP) with the users!"
The AP doesn't "check" anything - it simply forwards client DHCP requests which a DHCP server responds to whether that's locally, on WLC or remote via DHCP relay or proxy.

Telia is the biggest ISP in Sweden, maybe it is Telia that operates the network on that restaurant.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

If it's a Swedish location then yes that is possible, in which case it's just a waste of IP addresses.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card