cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest User Session Timeouts

JASON SIMMONS
Level 2
Level 2

Will someone please clarify how the Session, Client User Idle, and Sleeping Client Timeouts work?

Currently, I have all 3 timers set to 10 Hours (36000sec).  I want users to have to authenticate every 10 hours.  Is this the correct way to set it up?  If not, what should I set the timers?

7 Replies 7

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

check it out this post about timeout setting on WLC:

http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/timeout-setting-on-wireless-lan-controller/

hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks Sandeep, it adds clarity to the issue.

Please tell me if the following statements are correct.

The sum of the client user idle and sleeping client timeouts equals the amount of time a client has to reconnect to the WLAN without having to re-authenticate.

If the client's session timeout expires before the sleeping client timeout expires the client will be forced to authenticate when they connect to the WLAN.

If the client's session timeout expires before the sleeping client timeout expires the client will be forced to authenticate when they connect to the WLAN.

yes client have to reauthenticate again.

The sum of the client user idle and sleeping client timeouts equals the amount of time a client has to reconnect to the WLAN without having to re-authenticate.

yes, if your user idle timeout is not expired then client can connect without having re-auth.

when a user is idle without any communication with the LAP for the amount of time set as User Idle Timeout, the client is de-authenticated by the WLC.

Regards

dont forget to rate helpful posts

when a user is idle without any communication with the LAP for the amount of time set as User Idle Timeout, the client is de-authenticated by the WLC.

Unless you have Sleeping Client enabled, right?

Is the session timeout restarted when a sleeping client wakes up?

Hi Simmon,

Unless you have Sleeping Client enabled, right?

Yes, Right.

Is the session timeout restarted when a sleeping client wakes up?

No, This is the maximum amount of time, after which a client is forced to reauthenticate.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Maybe I have something set incorrectly, but I'm not getting that result with my test iPad.  After connecting the iPad, I let it go into power save mode (screen off).  It will eventually move to the Sleeping Client list, but at what seems to be random intervals it will moves back and forth between the active and sleeping clients lists.  Each time it appears on the sleeping client list the timer is restarted.  My session timeout is 2 hours.  The iPad bounced between these two states all day yesterday and I was never prompted to re-authenticate.  

JASON SIMMONS
Level 2
Level 2

This has GOT to be working for someone.  Please help.  I've opened a case with Cisco and have made 0 progress on this issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card