cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Wireless - Redirect Page - username/password

Jason Wing
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 5508 WLC running 6.0.202.0. It functions as the Anchor Controller for the guest network. It sits in our Internet DMZ and is isolated from the rest of the network. It does not connect to AD, ACS, etc. The guest wireless WLAN is configured for Web Policy - Authentication. I have a customized login page. Credential management is done by WCS.

Users are connecting to the guest wireless network and entering their creds with no issues using mobile devices (iPad, etc). Then the mobile device goes to sleep / turns off and when they go to use it again, they have to type their creds in again. They dont like retyping their creds throughout the day.

Any suggestions for a good way mitigate the multiple logins? Something like a 'save password' option on the customized page?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

more than likely it's the user idle timeout which is set to 300 seconds 5 minutes by default. You could set this to be 28800 which is 8 hours.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

In addition to the user idle timeout. You also want to make sure the session timeout under the WLAN advance tab which is set by default to 1800 seconds (30 minutes) is moved up as well.

User Idle Timeout -- If the user doesn't send any packets for default 300 seconds the WLC deletes the clients record. Which causes the client to reauth. i devices are very clean. they dont chat a lot unless a user sets up pushs.

Session Timeout -- After a user authenticates to the WLC. The timer kicks in and when it expires it kicks the users a DEAUTH frame, which will cause the client to reauth again..

Hope this helps...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

more than likely it's the user idle timeout which is set to 300 seconds 5 minutes by default. You could set this to be 28800 which is 8 hours.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Steve's right, that is the user idle timeout on the General->Controller tab. Adjust it something higher and those users won't have that issue. I've done that at a few sites.

In addition to the user idle timeout. You also want to make sure the session timeout under the WLAN advance tab which is set by default to 1800 seconds (30 minutes) is moved up as well.

User Idle Timeout -- If the user doesn't send any packets for default 300 seconds the WLC deletes the clients record. Which causes the client to reauth. i devices are very clean. they dont chat a lot unless a user sets up pushs.

Session Timeout -- After a user authenticates to the WLC. The timer kicks in and when it expires it kicks the users a DEAUTH frame, which will cause the client to reauth again..

Hope this helps...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks guys - I had already extended the Session Timeout. Wasnt aware of the User Idle Timout. I just extended it and will see how it goes.

You guys nailed it. Much better now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card