Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Wireless

venkat257
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to setup guest wireless in a small office network? New users should go through a captive portal. Thank you

BR,

Krishna

17 Replies 17

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Krishna,

Can you provide more info on what AP's and Wireless setup you have?

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

I have a Cisco WLC 2500 and Access points. 

Well since you have one WLC, you can follow this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/guest_access/technical/reference/4-1/GAccess_41.html

-Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Is there a way I can use captive portal for first time users?

No.... if you want something that custom, then maybe look for some open source portal that allows you to do that.

-Scott

-Scott

Hello Scott,

Thank you for the links

I have an existing setup with the captive portal but it is not running as expected. Sometimes, the captive portal keeps on asking to register again. 

Untangle is the software that was installed on a linux machine where the guest dhcp scope is configured. I am also not sure how the wireless is working if the untangle software is installed on a linux box. Not sure how it was routed 

Please share if you have any thoughts on this. Let me know if you need more info.

Disable session timeout on the WLAN and increase the idle timer to something like 4 hours. What's happening is that your either hitting the session timer or the idle timer. Play around with the idle timer. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Please see the attached and are you referring to that

ignore the previous one. please see the attached

You should see client idle timer unless your on an older code, in which that will be defined globally under the CONTROLLER tab.

-Scott 

-Scott

See the code in the wlc

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 8.0.100.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.20
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 1.0.0
Firmware Version................................. PIC 16.0

see the attached under Controller tab

That is the globally defined idle timer. Take a look at the WLAN advanced tab again, the code your running has client idle timer but it's lower on the page.  Set that at 4 hours to start  hope that helps.

-Scott 

-Scott

I will set the timer after business hours later today.

Also, there are accesspoints where if an user connects to one of them and if he/she moves to a different part of the office area, he/she is still connected to that AP and wireless signal strength comes down and it takes sometime to shift over to the ap where he/she is in. 

Any settings to be changed?

The client device determines the roaming. What you can do is disable the lower data rates like everything under 12mbps if you don't need to support 802.11b devices. Or else 11mbps if you require 802.11b support. 

You need to understand your RF or else you can make it worse. You just need to make a change and test and make sure you can connect everywhere. 

-Scott 

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card