cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HA two WLC5520, why turn off the primary device, and then boot, it can not form a HA

Hi Friends: I have some problem,please help me! HA two WLC5520, why turn off the primary device, and then boot, it can not form a HA,and at secondary device cannot ping the primary device redundant interface.What happened? Or, in HA mode, turn off the device should pay attention to what will make HA no problem?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you are doing an upgrade/downgrade, you have to reboot both controllers. So you can either reboot the primary first and you need to reboot the standby before the primary comes back up or else you the pair will not come up. The code has to be the same when the controllers negotiate.
If you are just don’t my failover testing or just want to bring the standby unit as the primary unit, you just have to issue a force failover command and the primary unit will reboot and the standby unit will become the primary unit.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What firmware are the controllers loaded with?
Post the complete output to the command "sh red summary".

HI Leo;
This is the case, there are two WLC5520 is in HA mode, I want to save the configuration to upgrade the device, but save the configuration failed, and finally found to be a Bug, Workaround is to restart the device before saving, so I restart the Primary device, However, after powering on, the HA can not be booted up, and the redundant interface of the primary device can not be pinged through the Secondary device. The "show red summary" can not see the status of each other. Is not what steps to restart the attention?

What is the firmware of the controllers?

the image version is 8.2.151.0

System Information
Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 8.2.151.0
RTOS Version..................................... 8.2.151.0
Bootloader Version............................... 8.1.102.0
Emergency Image Version.......................... 8.1.102.0

Console into both units. We want to see what state they are in. Are then in Maintenance Mode or are they in split-brain?

I was upgrading a 5520 SSO pair today. The best thing to do is have two consoles open in a split window so you can see what is happening just like Leo mentioned. The other thing is to run a show redundancy summary to make sure everything is fine before the reload.  If you run into issues, it’s best to shut the secondary unit down and have the primary unit boot and then bring up the secondary unit. From the console you will see what the issue is when you bring up the secondary unit. 

-Scott

HI Scott;

According to your description, I can understand the following description of the best method?
1, Ready to restart the device before the two console lines were inserted in two devices, observe the situation?
2, before restarting the device, respectively view "show redun summary" to determine the status of HA?
3, first restart the primary or secondary device is not important right?
4, if you can not enter the HA mode after rebooting, you can turn off the secondary device, and first open the primary device, and then open the secondary device?

In addition, I would like to ask, whether the need to shut down the AP SSO primary equipment or restart, or any other attention to the operation?

Thanks ~

If you are doing an upgrade/downgrade, you have to reboot both controllers. So you can either reboot the primary first and you need to reboot the standby before the primary comes back up or else you the pair will not come up. The code has to be the same when the controllers negotiate.
If you are just don’t my failover testing or just want to bring the standby unit as the primary unit, you just have to issue a force failover command and the primary unit will reboot and the standby unit will become the primary unit.
-Scott

OK,Thanks your reply~

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Post msglog and traplog from both WLCs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card