cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Has anybody here tested the new Mobility Express from Cisco?

Marc Abaya
Level 1
Level 1

It's a fairly new product and the cost is almost half if compared to buying a full-blown WLC. Any experience working with it? I'm planning to use it for our new office.

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a Cisco 2504 WLC.  Strip out all the controls and advanced options.  Then remove all the below features, and you have the new mobility express solution.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn81mr2.html#pgfId-1321954

Features Not Supported on Cisco Aironet 1830 and 1850 APs

• Cisco Virtual Wireless Controller
  • Mesh mode
  • Flex mode
  • Monitor mode
  • Sniffer mode
  • Workgroup Bridge (WGB) mode
  • OfficeExtend mode
  • Enhanced Local Mode (ELM)
  • Integrated BLE
  • Basic spectrum analysis
  • USB-based Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) device support
  • Cisco CleanAir
  • Cisco Wireless ClientLink 3.0
  • Rogue Location Discovery Protocol (RLDP)
  • Cisco Compatible eXtensions (CCX) Specification
  • 802.1x supplicant for AP authentication on the wired port
  • Static WEP key for TKIP or CKIP
  • Dynamic Transmit Power Control (DTPC)
  • Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) and Common Criteria
  • 40-MHz Rogue detection
  • Native IPv6
  • Telnet

Thanks for the link. I am looking at this bundle model, which includes a scaled-down WLC 2504 I believe:

AIR-AP1702i-x-WLC*

I'm assuming the above limitations still apply for the Bundle option. But in terms of performance and reliability, is it worth taking the risk?

The 1702 bundle with the WLC is a far better solution in my book.  You get a full 2504 controller - and the controller can do all of those things above (to the best of my knowledge).

I thought you were referring to the new mobility express access points controllers, the 1830 and 1850.

Thanks. I've been trying to google this but cannot find a comparison of this 2504 (that's part of the Express Bundle) vs. a full-blown WLC 2504. It's odd that Cisco will sell this Express Bundle at almost 6x less the price if the features are the same.

That bundle you quoted includes a full blown Cisco 2504 WLC.

Thanks. I've been trying to google this but cannot find a comparison of this 2504 (that's part of the Express Bundle) vs. a full-blown WLC 2504. It's odd that Cisco will sell this Express Bundle at almost 6x less the price if the features are almost the same.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card