Views
Helpful
Replies

*Heatmap/WiFi Questions*

Konnekt1911
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day Guys!

One of my clients requested a Heatmap of their site.  My background is CCNA R/S and Security so I do have a few questions before I start this Job as my WiFi knowledge is definitely at a beginner level.  First, from the WiFi experts, simply what is a Heatmap to you and why would a company choose or feel the need to have one performed?  What type of issues could they be experiencing that would prompt a Heatmap assessment?  Secondly,  would you guys think its possible to perform a successful heatmap without being CCNA Wireless Certified?  Hopefully so as I dont think my client has time to wait for that, lol!  Also, what all is needed to perform a Heatmap survey on a multi level/floor building(Resort/Hotel Style if that helps...)?

Any information provided would be great and very much appreciated.  I am up for the challenge I just need help getting started on the right foot and in the right direction. 

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

I would suggest you to get someone's assistance who is doing professional wireless site surveys. In this way you can see how they do this sort of work and get  an basic understading how the process work.

Then you can start learning basic RF and develop yourself to do this sort of work in future. To start with I would suggest CWNA course.

https://www.cwnp.com/certifications/cwna

If you need a tool to do wireless site survey Ekahau is great tool, Have a look here

http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-site-survey

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Mananna,

Thanks but I do not have a Colleague that specializes in WiFi that can help out.  I have deployed a smaller contrller based WiFi Network consisting of 8-10 APs but the area and footprint wasnt demanding so no real heatmapping was required.  The network to this day is still running well for that Company.  With that being said as a consultant, I dont want to give away any of my business so I am going to look into the CWNA Certification you have listed above.  How does the CWNA compare to the CCNA Wireless?  Is there any benefit to one over the other?  Is the CWNA more Entry level and the CCNA Wireless the next step up?  Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks!

How does the CWNA compare to the CCNA Wireless?  Is there any benefit to one over the other?  Is the CWNA more Entry level and the CCNA Wireless the next step up?  Looking forward to your reply!

All Cisco certifications is around how to configure/troubleshoot Cisco products. In wireless perspective, it does not cover all required basic RF fundementals. The program I listed is the best place to start with. It is vendor neutral certification track and gives you strong foundation.

Once you done that and if you believe Cisco products are the one you most going to work with then start doing CCNA/CCNP/CCIE Wireless tracks. If it is different vendor products then choose those vendor certs over Cisco.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card