Views
Helpful
Replies

High Availability - 7.0.116

alan.blakege
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

The high availibity feature that gets configured on the AP for primary/sec/tertiary controllers, do both the hostname and IP need to be entered? If you only enter the hostname of a pri/sec controller but do not enter an IP, does the AP try to resolve the hostname via DNS or does this feature fail completely and the AP begins its typical WLC discovery process?

Thanks

AB

6 Replies 6

scottg.irey
Level 1
Level 1

The host name is not for DNs purposes but it is the controllers configured host name. The ap will learn the names of all the controllers in the same mobility group of the controller it is joined too. The ip address is needed if the controller you which to configure as primary/secondary is in a different mobility group. This will allow the ap to learn of that controller and send a discovery and join. If memory serves ip config was cli only until some later version of code when they added it to the GUI.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Just to add... I always put both the hostname and the ip address when setting the primary, secondary or tertiary.  The hostname is case sensitive though and doesn't need to be in DNS like Scott mentioned.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I would agree with Scott as well... I always do hostname and IP address.

alan.blakege
Level 1
Level 1

So what happens if I don't add an ip but just the hostname. Will it still work?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

I doubt it... I guess you can test it out and see if it works. Why wouldn't you want to add the IP?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Robert Tracy
Level 1
Level 1

Entering an IP address for  the backup controller is optional. If the backup controller is outside  the mobility group to which the access point is connected (the primary  controller), then you need to provide the IP address of the primary,  secondary, or tertiary controller, respectively. The controller name and  IP address must belong to the same primary, secondary, or tertiary  controller. Otherwise, the access point cannot join the backup  controller.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_lwap.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: