cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High Availability (AP SSO) 5508 WLC Licensing

da.newman
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at installing a second WLC 5508 ina HA pair with our current controller. I've read through the Cisco High Availability (AP SSO) Deployment Guide and based on the guide you don't require a special HA license, just WLC software version 7.3 and above to run two WLC's in a HA setup?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml#combo1

19 Replies 19

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

Is the HA licensing in the AP itself or the controller? How can I look at a current controller and see if this license exists currently if its a controller level license?

An HA sku controller doesn't require any license. Only the primary in which the AP's will be joined to requires license. If your second controller is not an HA sku, then all you need is a 50 AP license to use it at full capacity in N+1 or SSO.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Well how do i know if a current in production controller is a HA sku controller? I literally hate Cisco licensing, they need a cert in licensing so we can understand this stuff. 

The only way is to look at your PO or the label on the box. If you don't have either, then call TAC and have them look it up.

-Scott 

-Scott

If there were 2 HA pairs; each pair in a different data centre, does each HA pair need it's own "pool" of capacity licenses?  ie.  if a total of 500 APs, each pair needs 500 C1 Foundation Wireless licenses, for a total purchase of 1000. TIA

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card