Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How add 3850 Switch to existing stack

Hi there,

Can someone help me, I have been assigned to add a 3rd 3850 switch to existing stack, can this be done without the whole stack being rebooted?

I eagerly await your response and appreciate your help in advance!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

It is recommend that all switches running the same IOS version, so.. until add it at stack, updated it.

Look this guide in other post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/how-to-form-a-catalyst-3850-data-stack-and-power-stack/ta-p/3156083

Note: The switch to be added to the stack must be off. Otherwise, the hole stack will reload.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hello,

If you add a new switch under a existent stack.. Just check priority to this not take the root. The switches wont rebooted if the priority is correctly to do not swap the actual root. :)
Jaderson Pessoa

Many thanks for the response,

So I just need to set the the priority low so it does not become the master? What about the software version; if it is of the later version that the other 2 in the stack would it reboot the other 2 in the stack or cause problems. Is there a step by step guide configuration you can link too?

Kind regards

Hello,

It is recommend that all switches running the same IOS version, so.. until add it at stack, updated it.

Look this guide in other post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/how-to-form-a-catalyst-3850-data-stack-and-power-stack/ta-p/3156083

Note: The switch to be added to the stack must be off. Otherwise, the hole stack will reload.
Jaderson Pessoa

Many thanks Jaderson for all your help, its much appreciated!!

YOU'RE WELCOME :)
Jaderson Pessoa
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card