cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can i locate heavy wireless user(s) in WLC saturating the network?

jjessetej
Level 1
Level 1

we've had situations where there's a lot of saturation in our network and we narrow it down to an AP, but how do we locate the actual client connected to that AP doing the damage?

once we get the mac address from our top talker discovering its on our wireless VLAN, we then issue the below command in our WLC and we can locate the top AP

sh wireless client summary | i MAC_ADDRESS

but how can we determine the client saturating the network connected to such AP? is there something we can run on the WLC or do we have to do it on the AP itself? if so, anyone know how?

device: C9800-40-K9

iOS: 16.12.3ES11

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sorry, i figured this one out.. when i was writing this, our top talker at the time it was a device that was wired in in a different VLAN, so i wanted to know where it was physically plugged in, but i was able to trace it down..

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From that command you can determine each clients Tx/Rx.  
So look at the ones with the highest value. 

Next, enable AVC/Protocol Pack and it will determine what kind of traffic each client is doing.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You said you already have the top talker client MAC which you used to identify the AP.

So what more did you want?

sorry, i figured this one out.. when i was writing this, our top talker at the time it was a device that was wired in in a different VLAN, so i wanted to know where it was physically plugged in, but i was able to trace it down..

@jjessetej wrote:

our top talker at the time it was a device that was wired in in a different VLAN

LOL

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Have you trying packet sniffing over-the-air with one AP converted to sniffer mode, or a dongle?

This way you can analize the traffic on Wireshark and see stats from every endpoint to be able to locate the MAC that is consuming the resources.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please rate helpful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card