cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many multiple SSID can i use with AIR-WLC2112-K9 ?

Tommy Svensson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Im thinking of using either

AIR-WLC2112-K9
or
AIR-WLC2125-K9

Im wondering whats the big differens is between these two besides the supported number of Accesspoints.
I want every Accesspoint to broadcast the same 10-20 SSID. So that the same 10-20 SSID have coverage all over the building.

Some insight would be much appreciated.

Regards Tommy Svensson

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I want every Accesspoint to broadcast the same 10-20 SSID.

Depending on the firmware, typically a WLC/WiSM can support up to 16 SSID.

However, if you configure AP Groups you can push 16 SSID PER WAP.

View solution in original post

tcording
Level 1
Level 1

Extract from the configuration guide

Refer line in bold

"The Cisco UWN solution can control up to 512 WLANs for lightweight access points. Each WLAN has a separate WLAN ID (1 through 512), a separate profile name, and a WLAN SSID. All controllers publish up to 16 WLANs to each connected access point, but you can create up to 512 WLANs and then selectively publish these WLANs (using access point groups) to different access points to better manage your wireless network.

Note: Cisco 2106, 2112, and 2125 Controllers support only up to 16 WLANs."

Why you'd be trying to push so many WLANs with a 2100 controller is beyond me, it's not exactly an enterprise device

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As you add more SSIDs your channel utilization will increase... something you need to consider

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I want every Accesspoint to broadcast the same 10-20 SSID.

Depending on the firmware, typically a WLC/WiSM can support up to 16 SSID.

However, if you configure AP Groups you can push 16 SSID PER WAP.

tcording
Level 1
Level 1

Extract from the configuration guide

Refer line in bold

"The Cisco UWN solution can control up to 512 WLANs for lightweight access points. Each WLAN has a separate WLAN ID (1 through 512), a separate profile name, and a WLAN SSID. All controllers publish up to 16 WLANs to each connected access point, but you can create up to 512 WLANs and then selectively publish these WLANs (using access point groups) to different access points to better manage your wireless network.

Note: Cisco 2106, 2112, and 2125 Controllers support only up to 16 WLANs."

Why you'd be trying to push so many WLANs with a 2100 controller is beyond me, it's not exactly an enterprise device

Hi.

Do you think i should go with the 4400 series WLAN Controller instead or what? It is not going to be that much trafic to begin with, the many SSID was only to seperate different groups to different VLAN. But as i have come to understand, there will be to much interferance with this solution and a much more practical way of doing things should be to implement a RADIUS server to handle the cause of assigning users to VLAN.

Regards Tommy Svensson

As mentioned the 4400 is EOL. The 5508 is a porsche when compared the 4400 vw bug ... All depends on your needs and especially your budget ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes thats the deal.

I think the AIR-WLC2112-K9 with RADIUS and a couple of LWAP´s should do it but what are my options? Whats the next step if i dont want to use the 2100 series?

Regards Tommy Svensson

Your next step from a controller perspective would be to purchase a 5508 and the proper size license. But if the 2100 meets your needs i see no reason to jump up to a 5508...

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As you add more SSIDs your channel utilization will increase... something you need to consider

Hi.

Yes i have abandoned this idea now and moving towards using maybe 5-6 SSID and the RADIUS protocol connected to a Active Directory to handle accesscontrol for every user that authenticates.

I have come to understand that so many SSID just isn´t effective.

Thank you for you awnser.

Regards Tommy

Good call...

If you have a chance and you want to see the impact... Take just 1 AP and turn on all 16 SSIDs. You will see about 40%+ channel utilzation from just that 1 AP broadcasting beacons !

If 40% of the channel is hosed just for beacons you can see how congested your channel will be when you add data to the air ... not to mention thast just 1 ap! Now add a dense design and your channel will be through the roof !

Next step is choosing what RADIUS software i want to go with, any suggestions? I still want to use the AIR-WLC2112-K9 and a Cisco 2911 router, but the RADIUS server does only have to worrie about the WLAN and how to assign users to different VLAN.

Regards Tommy

Yea, dynamic vlan assignment is an option. But keep in mind your depenecy on the radius server(s) for your wlan to work properly. You lose the radius you lose your wireless..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008076317c.shtml

Ive tested this many times in my home lab for my ccie wireless studies... works well...

"RADIUS server does only have to worrie about the WLAN and how to assign users to different VLAN"

So your trying to do dynamic VLAN assignment, i.e. using one SSID only,  not just Dot1x authentication

To do dynamic VLAN assignment you'll need a RADIUS server that supports VSA's to allow you to define the VLAN mapping information

The Cisco ACS will allow this and I think Steel Belted Radius will support it as well, not sure of any others

tcording
Level 1
Level 1

The 4400 series has now reached EOL status

So go with a 5508

Yes ok, thank you for youre reply!

Regards Tommy Svensson

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card