cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add C91XX to and EWC of type C91YY

hmviking
Level 1
Level 1

I have after a fair amount of travails got an C9120 operational. The AP is updated to the Bengaluru version of AP firmware. When I tried to add a C9105 to the network it got interesting. The AP really wanted to join the EWC on the C9120 every 10 or 20 seconds, but wasn't allowed to, because the FW version of the C9105 was old.

I don't see how to configure the EWC to get the image sent to the C9105 though attempts were made every minute or two minutes. I tried setting up TFTP servers and I tried to do it directly from the console on the C9105, but it would either not work at all, because the EWC wanted to update itself first and then the other AP or the TFTP session bombed out with time outs. Frankly it is not clear how you would configure an external TFTP server and the EWC to automatically update the new AP when needed. Clear documentation on this process would be helpful. After having spent a good couple of hours on this problem I decided to shutoff the EWC and add a "faster" TFTP server hardware. I was able after a couple of tries to get the AP image loaded on the the C9105. The C9105 later joined when I enabled the EWC on the C9120 again. Has anyone seen a new AP added to a network get the updated image automatically?

2 Replies 2

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

For any new AP added to an eWLC deployment with a different firmware code, it needs to download the running firmware from a network resource. Keep in mind that because of the eWLC limited storage, it only redirects the new APs to this network resource in order to download the firmware.

To configure the network resource in eWLC do it under Software Management, and uncompress all the files from the bundle that you have downloaded from Cisco for that IOS-XE version there, the new AP will connect and will check for the corresponding firmware based on the model.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please rate helpful responses ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-3/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_3/image_download.html

This table is in the readme.txt file included in the image bundle zip file which you need to download and unzip on the TFTP server:

AP IMAGES AND MODELS:
ap3g3 : AP380x, AP280x, AP156x, AP480x
ap1g4 : AP181x, AP183x, AP185x
ap1g5 : AP1815, AP154x, AP184x
ap1g6 : C9117
ap1g7 : C9115, C9120
ap1g6a : C9124, C9130
ap1g8 : C9105, WP-WIFI6, ISR-AP1101AX

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card