Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add existing SSID to Specific Access Point

syedfahadahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a Cisco 5500 Series Wireless controller and XYZ SSID is created in it, How can I add/Enable XYZ SSID for Access point only in my area and it should be enabled on different areas access points?

It will be very helpful if you can respond to me  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can create an "AP Group" under WLAN > Advanced > AP Group.

Then add specific WLAN to this AP group and add required AP to this group. So only those AP will advertise given SSIDs (Makesure you use WLAN ID greater than 16 for this work)

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

You can create an "AP Group" under WLAN > Advanced > AP Group.

Then add specific WLAN to this AP group and add required AP to this group. So only those AP will advertise given SSIDs (Makesure you use WLAN ID greater than 16 for this work)

HTH

Rasika

Hello,

Can a single access point be a member of more than one AP group.

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel

Nope, not possible.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

If it is not possible. 

How a specific wlan be deployed on specific APs if one of the AP is already member of different AP group. How this case be approach? Thank you for any suggestion.

Wlan to vlan mappings can only be done with radius and using 802.1x. Radius will send the vlan is to the wlc and the wlc will place the traffic for that user on that vlan.
-Scott

Also maybe be a little more clear on what you are trying to do. Provide additional information on what equipment and code you are running and the wireless design and requirements.
As far as aaa override which I mentioned, just search on Google: “cisco wlc aaa override” and you will find many links that can help you understand that feature and also understand the requirements.
-Scott

Requirement:
New SSID required to connect onto the corporate network and SSID to be advertised on three specific APs.

WLAN 23 was created with PSK and MAC Filtering.
WLC 5508.

I wanted to create AP group that would include that WLAN and advertise on selected APs.

However, one of the APs is already a member of different AP groups.
APs coonect to WLC with the use of flex connect group.
Thank you.

Well then you need to move those three in a new ap group.
-Scott

As I mentioned in the previous post one of of three APs is already included in different AP group.
I was informed that single AP cannot be a member of two groups.
Thank you.

Create a new ap group and move the ap to that new group that has to have the new ssid. That removes the ap from the old group into the new group.
-Scott

Yes, adding to new group will remove ap from initial group.
But I still want the this Access point to advertise old SSIDs as well as the newly created one.
The remaining two APs just need to advertise new SSID.

You need to understand what and how to use ap groups. You assign what ssid's are available in a group and you assign the AP to that group. Here is an example:

AP Group 1:
SSID1

AP Group 2:
SSID2

AP Group 3:
SSID1
SSID2

AP Group 4:
NewSSID
SSID1

AP Group 5:
NewSSID
SSID2

AP Group 6:
NewSSID
SSID1
SSID2
-Scott

If you need help, please provide the ap groups you have and the ssids and wlan’s you currently have and what ap’s are in what group. Then tell us what ssid and vlan you want and what ap’s you need in that group.
-Scott

Thank you for clear explanation.
It makes sense now after seeing the visual representation you included. I have configured as per your suggestion. Thanks again.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card