Views
Helpful
Replies

how to configure static Ip address on cisco controller based AP 1852I

jigar.doshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please guide me to configure static IP address on cisco AP 1852i controller base access point.

11 Replies 11

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, 
if it is not joined to controller then only via CLI.

Login to ap and type command:
capwap ap ip address <ip> <mask>
capwap ap ip default-gateway <ip>

Also you can specify controller ip address:
capwap ap controller ip address <ip>

If ap is already joined to controller then login to WLC via web browser, click wireless tab, select AP, and in part of "IP Config" you can check "static IP" and set your desired IP address.

Hi , I am trying to configure the ip address through CLI as u suggested ...but i am not able to configure as constantly it is give message of searching valid gateway so i am not able to give the command ...

help me to stop this messages during configuration .

Hi,
just type command regardless what is displayed.

you will see mixed output but if you type command correctly then it will be accepted.
Try use TAB key (during writing of command) for autocomplete part of commands and display what was typed.

Also you can stop console log messages with commands:
enable
configure terminal
no logging console

Hi

I have tried that but i failed .I have tried with DHCP , but i am getting error messages like "did no get log server settings from DHCP".

Though it is getting ip address from the DHCP server.Please find the attached console messages of AP 1852.

Also i find the attached screen shot of the WLC configuration. Please guide me where i am wrong.

Regs

jigar

Hi,
so if management interface is only one interface which is configured then enable "Dynamic AP management" on it.

AP will communicate with WLC only over interface with dynamic ap management enabled.

Also you can check to accept all types of certificates (SSC, MIC, LSC) - first three checkboxes
Authorization leave off (unticked)

Hi,

I have follow up the  steps what you have suggested except “Authoirization “ I didn’t find that option in the controller please let me know where I have to unticked off.

Also I have notice one thing , the controller software version  we have is   7.6.130 .0 and field recovery image version is 7.6.101.1  . Is this version support  CAPWAP 1852I ?

Regs,

jigar

Security --> AP Policies... on first three tick checkboxes and 4th and 5th leave unticked.

I am not sure if AP is supported, but you can check it on cisco webpage in release notes of image.

Did you tick "Dynamic AP management" checkbox on interface ? This could cause that AP is not able to connect to WLC.

Thanks commands worked perfect!

adamx88
Level 1
Level 1

I had this problem too and it was so very frustrating. In my particular environment, I have a relative small but highly critical deployment where we do not use DHCP servers but instead use static configurations. I had powered on my AP using a Power Injector and I was trying to provision the AP with a static IP and WLC IP addresses. The CAPWAP process of the AP refused to accept any configurations aside from hostname and it was so very frustrating. None of the Cisco documentations talk about how to fix it either.

My solution was as follows:

1. Connect console cable from laptop to AP
  2. Connect Power Injector to POE port of AP
  3. Connect LAN cable from my laptop's LAN interface to the Power Injector's LAN interface
  4. Configure my laptop's LAN interface with the IP address of the default gateway that the AP will have
  5. Power on the Power Injector and wait for the AP to boot up
  6. Configure the AP's hostname using the command:
    capwap ap hostname <Access Point Hostname>
  7. Configure the static IP and default gateway using the command:
    capwap ap ip <AP Static IP> <AP Static Netmask> <AP Default Gateway>
  8. Once the step above is done, the error shown below will stop:
    waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway
  9. Instead, you will start seeing these Console messages, this is the AP trying to discover the controller:
    iscovery Request sent to 255.255.255.255 with discovery type set to CAPWAP_DISCOVERY_TYPE_UNKNOWN(0)
  10. Yo ucan then configure the WLC IP Addresses
    capwap ap primary-base <Primary WLC Name> <Primary WLC IP>
    capwap ap secondary-base <Secondary WLC Name> <Secondary WLC IP>
  11. Once you do step 10 above, the Console messages become this:
    CAPWAP State: Discovery                                                                              
    Discovery Request sent to <Primary WLC IP> with discovery type set to CAPWAP_DISCOVERY_TYPE_STATIC_CONFIG(1)
    Discovery Request sent to <Secondary WLC IP> with discovery type set to CAPWAP_DISCOVERY_TYPE_STATIC_CONFIG(1)
    Discovery Request sent to 255.255.255.255 with discovery type set to CAPWAP_DISCOVERY_TYPE_UNKNOWN(0) 
  12. You can then reboot the AP to confirm that the configurations are persistent, you can also check the configurations with either or both of these commands:
    show run
    show capwap ip config

That should be all that's needed to provision the AP with static configurations, after that you can connect it to the network and it will join with the WLC and download the IOS image from the WLC and perform a self-upgrade. Any configurations after that you should do from the WLC itself.

I don’t think you were alone in this. Back in the days I would spin up a dhcp on my laptop, switch or the WLC so that the AP would join the WLC with no issue and then scrip out the static addresses to the AP’s.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

Assigning Static IP and Joining a APs to controller will take more time. I would like to suggest you configure the APs by using DHCP Option 43 to join the controller.

Once the APs joined to the controller, You can play with the APs configuration easily from the controller. 

Ref. link for Option 43 Configuration

Below is command to change the DHCP assigned IP in to Static IP via WLC CLI.

config ap static-IP enable <AP Name> <AP IP Address> <Subnet> <Gateway>
y --> Yes for proceeding with Reboot
Ex: config ap static-IP enable AP01 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1
y

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card