Views
Helpful
Replies

how to copy running configuration using sftp

Manish Manwal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have installed the solerwind sftp server in my window machine and i want to copy running configuration from cisco switch to sftp and vice versa.

Can someone help me with the below queries please

> Is Solorwind sftp server tools good to install in the network?

> What cmmand we use to copy running config from cisco swithc to sftp using sftp( copy running-config sftp:).

> What command we use to copy config from sftp to cisco switch?

> Is SCP and sftp is same thing?

THANKS
MANISH MANWAL
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Manish Manwal 

SCP is primarily used for copying files between devices over a secure channel. It is command-line-based and operates over SSH.

SFTP provides a more comprehensive file transfer service with features like directory listings and remote file removal. It is also command-line-based and runs over SSH.

Both provide encrypted communication and secure file transfers but have some differences in their capabilities and commands.

To copy the running configuration from a Cisco switch to an SFTP server, you can use the following command:

copy running-config sftp://username@SFTP_Server_IP/destination_filename

Replace "username" with your SFTP username, "SFTP_Server_IP" with the IP address or hostname of your SFTP server, and "destination_filename" with the desired filename.

To copy a configuration file from an SFTP server to a Cisco switch, use the following command:

copy sftp://username@SFTP_Server_IP/source_filename running-config

Replace "username" with your SFTP username, "SFTP_Server_IP" with the IP address or hostname of your SFTP server, and "source_filename" with the filename on the SFTP server.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Manish Manwal 

SCP is primarily used for copying files between devices over a secure channel. It is command-line-based and operates over SSH.

SFTP provides a more comprehensive file transfer service with features like directory listings and remote file removal. It is also command-line-based and runs over SSH.

Both provide encrypted communication and secure file transfers but have some differences in their capabilities and commands.

To copy the running configuration from a Cisco switch to an SFTP server, you can use the following command:

copy running-config sftp://username@SFTP_Server_IP/destination_filename

Replace "username" with your SFTP username, "SFTP_Server_IP" with the IP address or hostname of your SFTP server, and "destination_filename" with the desired filename.

To copy a configuration file from an SFTP server to a Cisco switch, use the following command:

copy sftp://username@SFTP_Server_IP/source_filename running-config

Replace "username" with your SFTP username, "SFTP_Server_IP" with the IP address or hostname of your SFTP server, and "source_filename" with the filename on the SFTP server.

Best regards

do i need to run  this command to copy running config ? "ip ssh source-interface GigabitEthernet0"

THANKS
MANISH MANWAL

@Manish Manwal 

Depend of routing perspective. Do you need to source your ssh flow with Giga0 ip address in order to have a successful complete path to the destination and for the packet return ...

Best regards

Sftp use ssh'

So you need domain and key and then try copy running into sftp.

MHM

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what device and IOS code running on the device ?

i generally use  as below that works for me.

copy running-config scp://USERNAME@x.x.x.x

SSH source where you have any different routings and want to send via specific interface, if you have default route that should take care of it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card