cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to find the Wireless MAC with no WLC on 1240?

jwkimmel
Level 1
Level 1

We're starting a wireless deployment with 1240 AP's and have run into a bit of a problem. It was decided that we label all of the AP's with the last 6 digits of their wireless MAC. Is there any way to find that information out of the box? I've consoled into one but can't find the MAC anywhere.

Our goal is to make it as easy as possible to label them without having to actually prime the AP. Is this possible?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jerry,

This is going to be a problem (as you have discovered) with LWAPP AP's as the only CLI commands that are available are to be used for some basic setup info. I would probably come up with a descriptive name (maybe a Room or Office # where the AP is mounted) to be used as the Label. Have a look;

Configuring Controller Information

To manually configure controller information on a new (out-of -the-box) access point using the access point CLI interface, you can use these EXEC mode CLI commands:

AP# lwapp ap ip address

AP# lwapp ip default-gateway IP-address

AP# lwapp controller ip address IP-address

AP# lwapp ap hostname name

Where name is the access point name on the controller.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008079b730.html#wp1079309

There is also a Bug that John has identified that impacts the listed Radio mac shown in the WLC. Here is the great thread;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Security%20and%20Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddd0b2e/0#selected_message

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the response. I was afraid of that. What we were looking for was a way to troubleshoot if there was a problem. The thought is that if you can see the MAC from the ground, you'll know which AP you are connected to. There will also be a second label that follows our traditional scheme.

It looks like we're just going to have to prime them first then get the MAC.

Thanks for your post!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card