cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to force client to connect to specific AP?

msekula
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that connects to an Access Point on the floor above.  The connection is "Very Low" and pings are choppy.  Is there a way to force the client to connect to the Access Point on its own floor down the hall.

Using 1131AG  Access Points; WLC2106

WPA2 + PSK

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

There is not a way to force the client to use a specific AP from the controller side of things.  As per the specs the client decides when and where to associate.  You could try disabling some of the lower data rates or lowering the AP's tx power to reduce the coverage cell of each AP.  By doing this the client might not see the other AP as favorable.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

There is not a way to force the client to use a specific AP from the controller side of things.  As per the specs the client decides when and where to associate.  You could try disabling some of the lower data rates or lowering the AP's tx power to reduce the coverage cell of each AP.  By doing this the client might not see the other AP as favorable.

Thank you.  You answered my question on if this function was even possible.  The main problem is the computer (terminal) is mounted at the same height as the Access Point - possibly, just above it.  And that AP is farther down the hallway.  In this case, this makes the AP on the floor above the closer choice for the terminal.  The cement floor is probably causing interference which explains why the signal strength is "Low".

I'm going to plan to add 1 additional AP to see if it corrects the issue.

Thanks again for your reply.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card