Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup a 1140 aironet for Wireless N

Hi

I need your help configuring this access points, I really dont know why I can not see speeds over 54 mpbs, I read a few documents on cisco but didnt help me with the configuration on this AP, usally made reference to model 1250 series.

What should I enable or configure to enable high speeds on 2.4 or 5 mhz?

This is the model that we have: AIR-AP1142N-A-K9

Best Regards,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The reason that WPA2 or Open are required is that the 802.11n standard requires it.  WEP is simply not allowed when operating using those data rates.  Also, WMM must be at least allowed by the SSID.

Also, make sure that the desired MCS data rates are also enabled, whether that is from the WLC under Wireless>802.11a/n or 802.11/b/g/n, or on each radio for autonomous (can't tell from your description which you are using.)  For the WLC, there is a doc at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080a3443f.shtml which describes that setup better, including requirements and troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

To anwser your question "Why".

The new 802.11n standard was built to get folks away from WEP and WPA. The standard is clear. WAP2/AES and WMM or OPEN. Think of it as a way that the IEEE and the WIFI Alliance is directing the masses of wifi users to a more secure wireless medium.

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What should I enable or configure to enable high speeds on 2.4 or 5 mhz?

Use either the following settings:

1.  OPEN or no authentication; or

2.  WPA2/AES

Thanks,

We use Wep why it doesnt work with this?

What else should check or configure or only that?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

The reason that WPA2 or Open are required is that the 802.11n standard requires it.  WEP is simply not allowed when operating using those data rates.  Also, WMM must be at least allowed by the SSID.

Also, make sure that the desired MCS data rates are also enabled, whether that is from the WLC under Wireless>802.11a/n or 802.11/b/g/n, or on each radio for autonomous (can't tell from your description which you are using.)  For the WLC, there is a doc at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080a3443f.shtml which describes that setup better, including requirements and troubleshooting.

To anwser your question "Why".

The new 802.11n standard was built to get folks away from WEP and WPA. The standard is clear. WAP2/AES and WMM or OPEN. Think of it as a way that the IEEE and the WIFI Alliance is directing the masses of wifi users to a more secure wireless medium.

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks for all the answers. They help me too much.

Now I had to install and configure the radious server to enable it.

Best regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card