Helpful
Replies

IDS Null Signature Attacks

craiglebutt
Level 4
Level 4

HI

I've been asked to look why we keep getting these, from what I've read, 

When a client is associated to the AP but stops communicating because of card removal, roaming out of range, etc. to the AP, the AP will wait until the idle timeout. Once the idle timeout is reached, the AP sends that client a disassociate frame. When the client does not acknowledge the disassociate frame, the AP retransmits the frame numerous times (around 60 frames). The IDS subsystem of the controller hears these retransmits and alerts with this message. 

but this should have been fixed in version 4.0, I'm currently on 8.0.152

Message: IDS 'NULL probe resp 1' Signature attack cleared on AP 'AP_I_03' protocol '802.11b/g' on Controller. The Signature description is 'NULL Probe Response - Zero length SSID element'

Message: IDS 'Deauth flood' Signature attack detected on AP protocol '802.11b/g' on Controller '1. The Signature description is 'Deauthentication flood', with precedence '9'. The attacker's mac address is '50:0f:80:80:15:a0', channel number is '6', and the number of detections is '300'.

Failure Source: WLAN Controller

Message: IDS 'Deauth flood' Signature attack detected on AP protocol '802.11b/g' on Controller The Signature description is 'Deauthentication flood', with precedence '9'. The channel number is '6', the number of detections is '500', and one of potentially several attackers' mac addresses is '50:0f:80:80:15:a0'.

Message: IDS 'NULL probe resp 1' Signature attack detected on AP protocol '802.11b/g' on Controller '10.147.95.116'. The Signature description is 'NULL Probe Response - Zero length SSID element', with precedence '2'. The attacker's mac address is '04:32:f4:15:9a:d0', channel number is '1', and the number of detections is '1'.

Message: IDS 'Auth flood' Signature attack cleared on AP protocol '802.11b/g' on Controller '10.156.255.116'. The Signature description is 'Authentication Request flood'.

1 Reply 1

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Could be a faulty driver on the client, or a bug on the WLC.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card