Views
Helpful
Replies

IDS Signature Attack

michael_prejean
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

While troubleshooting an issue with an AP at one of my sites, I came across this error message in WLC logs. Was curious as to what it means, and if there's an issue it's pointing to.

"IDS Signature attack cleared. Signature Type: Standard, Name: NULL probe resp 1, Description: NULL Probe Response - Zero length SSID element, Track: per-Mac, Detecting AP Name: USMPWAP100, Radio Type: 802.11a, Preced: 2, Channel: 149"

Thanks for any help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

These are WIPS system related alarms. As per the documentation below is the description for this attack. How critical this attack needs to be determined by your organization after a risk evaluation.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/wireless_intrusion_detection_system.html

NULL probe response signatures—During a NULL probe response attack, a hacker sends a NULL probe response to a wireless client adapter. As a result, the client adapter locks up. When a NULL probe response signature is used to detect such an attack, the access point identifies the wireless client and alerts the controller. The NULL probe response signatures are as follows:

• NULL probe resp 1 (precedence 2)

• NULL probe resp 2 (precedence 3)

Note

Controller does not log historical NULL Probe IDS events within the Signature Events Summary output.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you have enable the Security that Logs generated, personally i looked at the logs, not much i have done other than supress the logs or disable.

image.png

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

These are WIPS system related alarms. As per the documentation below is the description for this attack. How critical this attack needs to be determined by your organization after a risk evaluation.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/wireless_intrusion_detection_system.html

NULL probe response signatures—During a NULL probe response attack, a hacker sends a NULL probe response to a wireless client adapter. As a result, the client adapter locks up. When a NULL probe response signature is used to detect such an attack, the access point identifies the wireless client and alerts the controller. The NULL probe response signatures are as follows:

• NULL probe resp 1 (precedence 2)

• NULL probe resp 2 (precedence 3)

Note

Controller does not log historical NULL Probe IDS events within the Signature Events Summary output.

Thank you for the quick reply. I will look into these further. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card