Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact of magnets on wifi acces points

hugo.bacholas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello 

I would like to install Cisco access points with magnets like this one : https://www.supermagnete.ch/spa/data_sheet_ITNG-40.pdf

This could have an impact on thoses AP ?

• AIR-AP1562E-E-K9 
  • C9130AXI-E 

Thank you in advance.

Best regards 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume that you are asking about using magnet to mount the mounting bracket in steel or something similar right?

The magnets won't interfere with the AP's RF transmission and reception, but you have to keep in mind that there are lot of electrical and steel components inside the AP which might not play well with the magnets. As a best practice I do not recommend any of my customers to consider this way. There are multiple other choices, if Cisco cannot provide the correct mount I always look for other vendors specialized in this field like ventev, extronics etc.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Magnets do not produce time varying energy (magnetic field and waves), therefore they do not interfere with time varying signals such as those emitted from WiFi radios or similar devices.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My 2cents is you test it.  I have worked with some access point mounting vendors and they do not want to use magnets in their products.  It might be due to the magnet being placed between the ap and the clients for lids as an example, but they would not use them.  Like what @marce1000 stated, it shouldn't, but you should test before you buy a whole bunch and find out something weird or maybe that solution isn't really working for you.

Why would you use magnets? To hold the AP in the ceiling, which is kind of dangerous?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume that you are asking about using magnet to mount the mounting bracket in steel or something similar right?

The magnets won't interfere with the AP's RF transmission and reception, but you have to keep in mind that there are lot of electrical and steel components inside the AP which might not play well with the magnets. As a best practice I do not recommend any of my customers to consider this way. There are multiple other choices, if Cisco cannot provide the correct mount I always look for other vendors specialized in this field like ventev, extronics etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card