cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Improving Antenna throughput

slambrick
Level 1
Level 1

I have up to seven notebook users connecting to the Wlan via an AP350 base station. The throughput has slowed as more users make use of the wireless network. How can I improve the Throughput?

1. More Stations (we have 2 now)

2. Bigger antenna.

3. Something else?

4 Replies 4

jtburgess
Level 1
Level 1

Try searching for a better channel, but then lock it into the APs.

I don't know the channel set available in AU, but make sure you are using 2 non-overlapping channels. e.g, 1, 6, 11 -- you need 5 channel separation to prevent overlap, and thus interference.

Yes more APs will help, with the above constraint, or with enough physical separation so they do not interfere.

If your users are all within range, force them to all use higher speeds, by disabling 1 and 2 Mbps on the AP. At least disable 1M, because that uses long headers.

ANtennae? what are you using now? If your users are spread over a large area, an Omni should increase range vs the standard Rubber Duckie (and let you disable 1M as above).

Let us know if any of these works (or what does solve your problem).

stevecullen
Level 1
Level 1

Having problems with 7 users is disconcerting, I would expect to get 15 per AP unless they're hitting it pretty hard. I've thought about adding a second antenna to each of my AP and configuring the clients to use one for Transmit and one for Recieve.

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

Use the Carrier Test under diagnostics to watch existing traffic in your space (shut down the client radios first).

Watching it for 5 even minutes will tell you which channel is least busy. Move to that before buying more APs.

If you want to pass along an explanation of how your antenna(s) are connected that might eliminate other problem sources.

Matthew Wheeler

Blue Modal

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

please tune your AP to noise free channel in your environment then check this issue still exist or not.

co-channel interference and adjacent channel interference could be the cause.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card