cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Increase WLAN coverage in Cisco WLAN 2504

saquib.akhtar
Level 1
Level 1

How to increase the coverage of WLAN radio strength in Cisco 2504 WLAN controller?

I have already chosen high client density for that WLAN covering 100 users.

Do I have to modify the anything under: Wireless->Coverage?

RF.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1. Go to Wireless > Access Points > Radios > 802.11a/n/ac or 802.11b/g/n
2. To the right, there is a blue box. Hover the cursor over it and choose Configure.
3. Under Tx Power Level Assignment click Custom. Choose "1" from the drop-down menu. (Note: The lower the number, the higher the power. 1 is full power and 7 or 8 is low power).
Don't forget to rate our useful posts.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are you trying to increase the Tx power of each APs?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you define an RF Profile it’s because you have the AP density for that Profile to be used. If you do not have the proper AP density, then using that Profile will reduce the cell size. The data rates and like Leo mentioned, the TX power are the two variables that can control the size of your coverage cell. You first optimize the power by setting a max and a min tx power level and then determine the data rates, which is also defined in the RF Profiles if you want to use them. Proper AP placement and density is the key. You will not be able to increase coverage if already your AP’s are at max TX power. You will need to add more AP’s. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes I want to increase the RF coverage of a particular AP. I have placed two AP's in that zone but on a particular area the signal is weak.
So how is it possible to increase the RF coverage ?

1. Go to Wireless > Access Points > Radios > 802.11a/n/ac or 802.11b/g/n
2. To the right, there is a blue box. Hover the cursor over it and choose Configure.
3. Under Tx Power Level Assignment click Custom. Choose "1" from the drop-down menu. (Note: The lower the number, the higher the power. 1 is full power and 7 or 8 is low power).
Don't forget to rate our useful posts.

Thanks for the solution !!

This worked a lot.

But there is one more thing which I can see under Performance Profile -> Coverage Expectation Level.

Does this has to do with RF coverage or I have adjusted TX power to 1 for the high density client AP.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Two APs in a particular area doesn't really fit the definition of "high density". It, more or less, fit the term "econo-mode".

I have put two AP's in one floor as the coverage area is large. So having same SSID will cause easy handoff ?

@saquib.akhtar wrote:
I have put two AP's in one floor as the coverage area is large. So having same SSID will cause easy handoff ?

No one will be able to answer this question because we don't know if there is ample overlap.

ok but increasing the tx power was the best solution!!

Increasing power, using a higher gain antenna and allowing lower data rates will increase your coverage. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@saquib.akhtar wrote:
ok but increasing the tx power was the best solution!!

Not without knowing if there is viable signal overlap.  

What if there is dead space in the middle (even with the radios operating at full power).  

Again, the question is flawed because all the necessary information to make the decision is absent.  
The question is like asking a mechanic if the drug is going to take the pain away.  

It means it completely depends on optimization and AP placement position.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card