Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing 50 AP capacity adder licenses to WLC 5508

aniket0422
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We are currently having 100 AP licenses on WL-C5508. We want to increase our licenses to 150 by adding 50 capacity adder licenses.

I am going to follow below steps to do so.

Can anyone please verify and let me know in case i am missing something.

Is there any chance my current 100 AP license will go to inactive mode after installing 50 capacity adder licenses. Or license will increase from 100 to 150 without any issue.

1. Take Backup of the WLC configuration
2. Management >> Software Activation >> Licenses [ To check current license status ]
3. Management >> Software Activation >> Commands >> Action (Save Licenses) [ Backup current licenses ]
4. Management >> Software Activation >> Commands >> Action (Install Licenses) [tftp://<tftp server IP address>/<filename.lic> ]
5. Save configuration
6. Take Backup of the WLC configuration
7. Monitor >> Summary [ Check License Summary ]
8. Reboot Controller
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

Your procedure looks fine, maybe even an little overdone. I have done a lot of license upgrades and never make a back-up of the current files, but making an back-up never hurts.

Cisco knows how many AP licenses your WLC has at the moment so when you fulfill an upgrade they will send you just one new license file with the new AP license count (in your case 150). Saving that new license file somewhere else than on the WLC is wisely.

With software 8.1 Cisco moved to an "Right to use" model which means that you don't need to activate your licenses on the WLC anymore. You just need to give in how many AP licenses you want to use. You still need to buy those licenses of course.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Javier Contreras
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

this is not the forum for general questions, moving this thread

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

Your procedure looks fine, maybe even an little overdone. I have done a lot of license upgrades and never make a back-up of the current files, but making an back-up never hurts.

Cisco knows how many AP licenses your WLC has at the moment so when you fulfill an upgrade they will send you just one new license file with the new AP license count (in your case 150). Saving that new license file somewhere else than on the WLC is wisely.

With software 8.1 Cisco moved to an "Right to use" model which means that you don't need to activate your licenses on the WLC anymore. You just need to give in how many AP licenses you want to use. You still need to buy those licenses of course.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card