cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing AP 'Adder' Licenses on a 5508 using FTP - Is this possible??

dselfridge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My customer has banned TFTP from the network. Not a problem, I just use FTP. This works for most file operations on the controller (Software Upgrades, Config backups, etc.). However, to increase the AP count, which the customer does repeatedly when they roll out new branches, it seems TFTP is the only option.

This results in an expensive site visit to the Data Center in order to upload the license through the service port. When I would prefer to do it remotely in 10 minutes.

Please note that the customer doesn't currently have Prime/WCS.

Is there some other way of installing a license? If not, are there plans on the horizon to add this functionality?

Has anybody thought up some creative ways to get around this 'Feature'?

I'd welcome your thoughts.

Regards,

Dan

4 Replies 4

Divya
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dan,

There is already an internal enhancement bug for "FTP transfer for WLC License transfer". We can expect the support soon in future releases.

Right now,the only option is through TFTP transfer.

Regards,
Divya

Thanks for the update Divya.

(Sorry for the late reply, must check in more often!!)

Any update on this.

This is pretty poor that you can do all other operations using FTP but license operations is limited to TFTP.

Quite inconvenient.

Nope. 5508's are on 8.0.130.0 currently. Still only TFTP.

We are just benching up a complete WLAN Refresh based on 5520's, which has a better way of doing the licencing, (No reboots required, RTU, Cisco ONE model).

But we plan to recycle the 5508's as a secondary backup to the HA pair of 5520's. We won't be adding additional licences, so as the estate grows, we'll rely on Prioritisation should the worst happen and we lose the entire HA pair.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card