cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interpreting Wi-Fi Survey Data

alliasneo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I recently finished a Wi-Fi survey for one of our sites and although signal coverage is good we have a lot of interference. I know this is pretty normal for Wi-Fi but I was wondering what I can do to the Access Points to improve things? Can I adjust power or channels/frequencies?

The picture below is the same area, the top picture is the signal coverage and the bottom picture is the interference.

thanksWi-Fi Interference.png

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@alliasneo1 wrote:
bottom picture is the interference.

What band is the interference, 2.4 Ghz?

It is 2.4. When I tick to see 5GHZ only there is no data. But when I select 2.4 it shows the area that I have above.

interestingly, I can see a HP computer and when I untick it the blue area completly dissapears. so it would seem that this whole interference is being caused by one device? How would we negate that?

I've just done another walk around and the interference was still there but this time on channels 1 and 6 from difference devices. so when I untick channels 1 and 6 from the survey software the whole area is green.

Nobody does WiFi AP placement design based on 2.4 Ghz.  

Nobody takes 2.4 Ghz post-install WiFi Survey seriously.  Personally, 2.4 Ghz is "nice to have" and at the same time "I don't care".  We tell everyone who wants to bring in/introduce/implement a WiFi client that the wireless NIC have to (mandatory) operate in 5.0 Ghz because our WiFi environment will only cater for 5.0 Ghz only.  

You have no idea how many medical equipment manufacturers try to hoodwink us by telling us that their equipment "can" operate in 5.0 Ghz but manage to "forget" to tell us that it will also require 2.4 Ghz before the 5.0 Ghz will kick in.  

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

Are you certain it's a HP computer? I've often seen printers default SSID's causing interference on 2.4GHz channels. I always recommend disabling the wireless capabilities of printers if Wireless Direct Printing isn't needed, especially since most offices connect their printers via LAN. 

I use Ekahau survey tools, which offer an option to view the coverage pattern for a specific SSID. Check if your survey tool has a similar feature.

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card