cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS vs. VxWorks (To be or not to be)

gwcrook
Level 1
Level 1

AP1220 running VxWorks. Purchased WLSE and need to use some of the great functions it has. It seems to me that we have to change from VxWorks to IOS so we can use WDS, control the radios, SWAN, measure radio coverage, do walk abouts, etc. Is my interpetation correct; we need to change to IOS on the AP1220's?

6 Replies 6

ndoshi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

Yes , I would recommend to go to IOS , as you mentioned IOS has many more features than VXworks , Most of the new features are coming on IOS

Also other points that may interest you

Cisco Aironet Conversion Tool for Cisco IOS Software

Q. Can I use the Cisco Aironet Conversion Tool for Cisco IOS Software on all Cisco Aironet access points?

A. This release supports the use of the Cisco Aironet Conversion Tool for Cisco IOS Software on Cisco Aironet 1200 Series access point platform AIR-AP1200 and bundled versions AIR-AP1220B-X*-K9 and AIR-AP1220A-X*-K9. Cisco Aironet Conversion Tool support for other Cisco Aironet access point platforms will be delivered in a subsequent software release.

Q. Can I switch back to the VxWorks operating system configuration file after I convert to Cisco IOS Software?

A. No. Once the Cisco Aironet 1200 Series access point operating system configuration file has been converted to Cisco IOS Software, it cannot be converted back to VxWorks.

Q. How can I convert dozens or hundreds of Cisco Aironet access points with the VxWorks operating system to Cisco IOS Software?

A. The new CiscoWorks WLSE Version 2.0 supports the conversion of hundreds of Cisco Aironet 1200 Series access points from VxWorks to Cisco IOS Software using an enhanced version of the Cisco Aironet Conversion Tool and Cisco Aironet Conversion Upgrade Image file.

Q. Do I need both the Cisco Aironet Conversion Tool and the Cisco Aironet Conversion Upgrade Image file to convert a Cisco Aironet 1200 Series access point operating system to Cisco IOS Software?

A. Yes. Both the Cisco Aironet Conversion Tool and the Cisco Aironet Conversion Upgrade Image file are needed to convert a Cisco Aironet 1200 Series access point operating system to Cisco IOS Software.

I've convert most of my vxWork to IOS , but, how do I upgrade to the latest version of IOS for AP1220 and AP350, Need your advise

Thanks

If the AP is already on IOS and you want to upgrade the version, do it through the web GUI. The file management commands in the command line are different from any other Cisco gear, but the GUI can handle all that for you. System Software: Software Upgrade.

To upgrade to the 12.2(15)JA image use the CLI command - AP# archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://x.x.x.x/c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar . THe problems with using the browser to upgrade will be explained in the release notes of that software.

To upgrade to the 12.2(15)JA image use the CLI command - AP# archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://x.x.x.x/c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar . THe problems with using the browser to upgrade will be explained in the release notes of that software.

ctripp is correct.,

any image 12.3(15)JA or later will be over 4 megs

if the image is over 4 megs it will fail in the GUI.

AP# archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://x.x.x.x/c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar

is the way you should do all subsuquent upgrades, to whatever ios revision

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card