Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 Multicast MGID's

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Greetings,

At my work we have recently introduced iPads and Apple TV's onto our campus WLAN. In order to get the Airplay to work I am utilizing the VLAN Select and Multicast VLAN features on the controller. Although it is working beautifully, I am noticing a rather large number of IPv6 Multicast MGID's are being generated when I go to the Monitor --> Multicast tab. These only appear when I enable MLD Snooping on the controller. I tried to disable MLD snooping, but if that happens I cannot use the Multicast VLAN Feature to forward the bonjour traffic to the AP's. I tried to create an IPv6 ACL on the controller to block this traffic (with the destination address of FF02::) but for some reason I cannot apply it to the interface, the drill down option doesnt show the ACL I just created. Are these IPv6 MGID's a problem? I am not really noticing any significant performance issues on the wireless network, but it is worrisome to see so many MGID's being generated.

I understand this may be a new and complex issue in the world of wireless, I myself do not completely understand it. But any advice you may have would be helpful.

Here is where I got a lot of my information on how to make the Apple TV's work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

Thank you.

Chris.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

it shouldn't be an issue to have the IPv6 MGID.  The iPad is capable of using IPv6 so it would make sense that you would see them, if it decided to use itps v6 address over it's v4 address.

If you want to block v6 with your ACL, you would go to the WLAN > Avanced Tab, and use the Override Interface ACL option there. 

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

it shouldn't be an issue to have the IPv6 MGID.  The iPad is capable of using IPv6 so it would make sense that you would see them, if it decided to use itps v6 address over it's v4 address.

If you want to block v6 with your ACL, you would go to the WLAN > Avanced Tab, and use the Override Interface ACL option there. 

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Stephen,

Thanks for the response. Ok, I will just not worry about them then. Like I said, I really dont see much of an impact on the wireless as it is. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card