Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 Support in WLC5508

Nixter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to use IPv6 in Cisco WLAN but I can't find the command "config wlan IPv6support {enable | disable} wlan_id" nor the "IPv6 enable" in the GUI page.  Can anyone help assist me. Current Software version is 8.2.  Thank you.

12 Replies 12

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Nixter,

What WLC hardware are you running? 

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Hi Ric,

Thanks for the interest of helping me.  I'm using a WLC 5508 with firmware 8.2.100.  Thank you.

From the CLI can you try show ipv6 summary and you're saying config ipv6 enable doesn't work? Can you show the log output on CLI for both.

Ta,

Ric

Hi Ric,

Encountered the same issue here, attached output of the commands as requested.

Thank you....

Roel

Hi Roel,

You already have IPv6 enabled so what issue are you experiencing?

Ric

Hi Ric,

Yes IPv6 is already enabled globally, however we can't find the "ipv6 enable" checkbox option in WLAN>edit page, and also "config wlan IPv6support {enable | disable} wlan_id"  command is not accepted.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Roel

Hi Ric,

I'm trying to do a L2 bridge using IPv4&v6 wherein a router acts as the dhcp server.  IPv4&v6 works using the wired network but in wireless, I can only get an IPv4 address. kindly note that the AP is configured in local mode using the same vlan id.  Thank you.

The WLC release prior to 7.6 had support for enabling ipv6 support on WLAN . What it did was to bridge Ipv6 packets on to the infrastructure.

The latest release has a ipv6 stack bundled which means the WLC can do a snooping for NS/ND and also learn client ipv6 address .

The interface on the WLC now supports ipv6 address on the interface as well.

Relay functionality is still not present

Thanks sandjose_cisco for your reply.  Would you know any tutorial or step by step configuration for this to work?  

I converted one of our 3700 AP to standalone and it work instantly.  I could get an IPv4 and IPv6 address.  

However, if I use WLC with 8.2 version, I only get an IPv4 address.

The AP getting an IP address is based on the current code that it is booted with.

The boot up sequence  will go for a Ipv4 address /ipv6 address followed by starting the CAPWAP process.

Can you state which image was the 3700 AP in , the older rcv images had only support v4 address and you should use the latest rcv image if need to support v6.

Hi sandjose_cisco, the AP is using 8.2.100.0 image.

AP should get an Ipv6 address on boot

Do you have the sequence of messages during boot

Not sure if you have a console access to the AP to get the log messages during boot.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card