cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to use patch antennas with AP 1552E?

Alex Shub
Level 1
Level 1

I need to use 14Dbi patch antennas (like AIR-ANT5114P-N I use to have on AP1522) on AP 1552E. Is it possible?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Its not suggested on the 1552E, but the 1552S has a seperate 5ghz radio.  I don't know if there are any antennas yet avaiable though.

Edit:  This is the wrong mesh AP.  I believe that they are going to have a Mesh AP that will have the radios seperate so you can run a patch on the 5ghz.  You might want to ask your Cisco rep.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Its the 1552EU or 1552CU, but its not available yet.

http://tinyurl.com/95d2ww8

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott, and anyone else,

I have the same question. We've been migrating from the 1522AG to the 1552E lately, but have a request for setting up a point-to-point wireless shot (under 2000ft distance), and was looking at using the same kind of patch antenna (AIR-ANT5114P-N) since we have some on hand. We only have two 1522AG APs left, but having issues getting them to talk to our controller to complete the firmware download, so looking at using two 1552E APs for this ptp wireless shot. Both APs will have the patch antenna connected to one of the dual band antenna slots, and the AP at the customer site will have one or two dual-band omni antennas (AIR-ANT2547V-N) to provide wireless coverage for them. I understand the 1552E doesn't have a dedicated 5ghz antenna slot, but thought the AIR-ANT511P-N could still work on this type of AP. Is it not recommended because of a performance hit you would see with this set-up or due to other issues?

Also, we have another wireless point-to-point request to set up a shot that will extend wireless service to a customer approx 8-10 miles away, with no obstacles in the way. One AP on a comm tower (about 40-60ft up) and one AP at the customer site on a pole attached to their building (about 15-25ft up). We were looking at using 1552E APs for this and using  high gain parabolic directional antennas for the backhaul, but unclear what kind of long-range directional antenna a 1552E AP can support (2.4ghz or 5ghz). Also, I understand it's recommend to place APs at the same height for cleaner communications, but for long-range point-to-point wireless shots, if you have APs place with the variance in height like above, would that cause any issues? At the customer site for this install, like with the above, we were looking at placing one or two AIR-ANT2547V-N antennas to provide wireless coverage for their area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card