cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there an update Cisco Mobility Express User Guide for 8.10.196.0

itsfmm
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble getting the 5Ghz radios to work on my AP3802i running ME 8.10.196.0 configured as AP & Controller.  It is plugged into a SG500-52MP (POE+) so it should have sufficient POE power... I have defined WLANs for 5Ghz, but none are being advertised.  (My primitive WiFi network analyzer sees other 5Ghz SSIDs but none from the AP3802i-B-K9).  When I try to dig deeper it is very hard since the CLIs don't align with Cisco Mobility Express User Guide, Cisco Wireless Release 8.10.   eg.  "show wlan" is no longer available...  Can someone point me to a ME 8.10.196.0 cli guide - without it, I am like a mouse in a maze trying to find a piece of cheese...  :)?  Any tips or advice would be most welcome!!  FYI As a side note, I notice I get these apparent errors - so I think the 5Ghz radio is shutting down but I don't know why: Radio RC stats:
====================
Last radio RC(56): Total 12 Start 6
Normal:
Code Count State When
10 1 START Sun Jun 23 23:32:48 2024 EDT
43 1 STOP Sun Jun 23 23:32:46 2024 EDT
56 5 START Sun Jun 23 23:32:56 2024 EDT
57 5 STOP Sun Jun 23 23:32:56 2024 EDT

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

itsfmm
Level 1
Level 1

I appreciate marce's reference to the manual and I would have made the same assumption.  There are many differences between that manual and the ME 8.10.196.0 firmware that I downloaded from Cisco.  Although not perfect, a much much better match to the command set is in the Cisco Aironet Wave 2 and Catalyst Wi-Fi6 Access Point Command Reference, Release 8.10 (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/wave2-ap/command-reference/8-10/b-cisco-wave2-ap-cr-810/preface.html)    The closest equivalent to show wlan (which is missing in ME 8.10.196.0 firmware) is  show capwap client config   In my particular case, I can't specifically pinpoint the problem with the 5Ghz radios in my initial config, but I have them working now.  I knew there were country specific differences that can lead to this type of problem.  I am from Canada and on my initial build I selected Canada (assuming the FCC regulations were similar and would not be a problem).  (FYI it is the same model # sold in USA and Canada)  To fix the issue, I did a factory reset and tried again but this time I selected USA, and my 5Ghz radios are working fine now.  No other changes were made and I have multiple WLANs and all are working well now.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...so it should have sufficient POE power
   - To verify this , you may for instance reboot the AP and just after it has booted log on to the AP  immediately and issue check the logs with the command show logging   (look for errors , related to power , if any)

>...Can someone point me to a ME 8.10.196.0 cli guide - 
               https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/810/cmd_ref/me_cr_book-810.html
               https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/810/cmd_ref/me_cr_book-810/me_wlan_cli.html#wp3048232477

- The show wlan should be available , make sure you are at  a (full) admin level (privs) on the CLI  

- Also have an overall checkup of the  Mobility Express AP based configuring using :
        WirelessAnalyzer input (procedure) for AireOs controllers
        and feed the output from that into  Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Those dos do not seem to align with ME 8.10.96.0.    There is no show wlan, or show rf-profile details y etc My show command has these possible parameters: show
ap AP configuration
arp Show ARP table
avc AVC show commands
awips Adaptive WIPS show command options
boot Show boot attributes
capwap CAPWAP Show Options
cdp CDP Show Options
class-map Show CPL Class Map
cleanair Show cleanair info
cli Show Command line
client Client
clock Display the system clock
cloud Show cloud information
configuration Show contents of non-volatile memory
controllers Dot11 interface controller status
cookie Show cookies
crypto Show crypto attributes
cts Cisco Trusted Security information
datapath Datapath show commands
debug show the debugs enabled
dot11 Show dot11 commands
dtls DTLS show commands
et-analytics et-analytics Show Options
filesystems Display filesystem information
flash Flash contents
flexconnect AP flexconnect information
grpc grpc show commands
history Show Event History
hosts IP domain-name, lookup style, nameservers, and host
table
hotspot hotspot show commands
image Show information on software download/upgrades
interfaces Interface status and configuration
inventory Show the physical inventory
ip IP information
ipsla Show IPSLA information
ipv6 IPv6 information
lacp LACP Show Options
lawful-intercept Lawful Intercept details
led Show LED information
lldp LLDP Show Options
logging Show the contents of logging buffers
mdns mdns Information
memory Display system memory usage statistics
mesh MESH show
multicast Multicast related information
ntp Current Status of NTP synchronization
pnp Show PnP information
policy-map Show CPL Policy Map
processes show list of processes cpu and memory utilization
radius radius show commands
rate-limit rate-limit Show Options
rrm Radio Resource Management Show Options
running-config Current operating configuration
security security information
session Display information about terminal lines
spectrum Spectrum FW show commands
split-tunnel Split Tunnel Show Options
system system show commands
tech-support Show system information for tech-support
thermal-control-summary Show thermal control logs and summary
trace Trace Events Options
version Display image version
vrrp VRRP show commands
wcp WCP elements
wips Show wIPS Information
wired Show Wired network information

- Are you sure this AP , is running mobility express and not a CAPWAP image ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

(I'm not to sure of much nowadays...  LOL) Attached is my show version...  (Is there another firmware / version that I should have used?)

-  >...LOL) Attached is my show version...  
    Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_Cisco_Mobility_Express_Deployment_Guide/m_deploying_cisco_mobility_express_solution.pdf
    >...If the show version displays AP Image Type: MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE and AP Configuration:
NOT MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE, it means that even though the Access Point has the Cisco Mobility
Express image, it is configured to run only as a CAPWAP Access Point. Such an Access Point will not run
the controller function and will not participate in the Primary Election process upon failure of the active
Primary AP.
>...
         For this AP to run the controller function, execute the following command from the AP CLI.
                                    AP# ap-type mobility-express tftp://

M.

FYI, I ran the command it it responded as : ap-type mobility-express tftp://
Image upgrade not needed, changing AP Type to Mobility Express   I checked the show version afterwards and get the same info as before  *FYI it does not say NOT MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE.  It says MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE.    I really thought the existing AP was running as the controller already.  It seems to have been discovered by by other CAPWAP AP and they are working in tandem.   ...and the management screen says Mobility express.   I may be getting lost on the nuances...  I admit I am new to this beasty...

>...  It says MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE.
  - Yes , but that is exactly what the documentation said , that you needed that extra tftp (AP# ap-type mobility-express tftp://) command to have 'real mobility express' : so check after doing that  , if you now have 'show wlan' , for instance

M.

I have resolved my issue which I'll add separately.  re: It says MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE  means it is in ME mode with real mobility express access.   If it wasn't in ME mode it would have said NOT MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE.  If it said that then you would be correct and a user would have to run ap-type mobility-express tftp:// .  As per my posts, that did not apply in my case but others may find that to be useful info...

If the show version displays AP Image Type: MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE and AP Configuration: MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE , it means that the Access Point has the Mobility Express image and is capable of running the controller function.   This is what my show version has been indicating.  So I expect the AP has the Mobility Express image and is capable of running the controller function...

Good idea...  Maybe I my account is not full admin??? I assumed I was, but you never know when you assume...  What command should I be able to run to confirm this?

=====update

I believe I am in as admin.   When I look at the console user ID under Global Access Configuration, there is no option to provide or remove any rights to Global Access Point configuration user.   It's just giving me rights to access the SSH interface.  My GUI admin account has read/write which I think is sufficient - although the GUI interface doesn't seem to have the same level of control as the SSH / CLI option...

itsfmm
Level 1
Level 1

I appreciate marce's reference to the manual and I would have made the same assumption.  There are many differences between that manual and the ME 8.10.196.0 firmware that I downloaded from Cisco.  Although not perfect, a much much better match to the command set is in the Cisco Aironet Wave 2 and Catalyst Wi-Fi6 Access Point Command Reference, Release 8.10 (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/wave2-ap/command-reference/8-10/b-cisco-wave2-ap-cr-810/preface.html)    The closest equivalent to show wlan (which is missing in ME 8.10.196.0 firmware) is  show capwap client config   In my particular case, I can't specifically pinpoint the problem with the 5Ghz radios in my initial config, but I have them working now.  I knew there were country specific differences that can lead to this type of problem.  I am from Canada and on my initial build I selected Canada (assuming the FCC regulations were similar and would not be a problem).  (FYI it is the same model # sold in USA and Canada)  To fix the issue, I did a factory reset and tried again but this time I selected USA, and my 5Ghz radios are working fine now.  No other changes were made and I have multiple WLANs and all are working well now.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card