Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR1100 with Mobility express - Basic setup problems

Charchiclofner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 1117-4PWE ISR router running ios-xe version 16.9.2 which I am trying to configure as a stand-alone (controllerless) wireless AP.

I've been referring to this document on the Cisco website but absolutely tearing my hair out struggling to try and get this basic setup established, hoping someone who's been through this may be able help.

The document suggests (in the notes for this section) that after the controller setup wizard has been completed then you need to browse to the mgmt IP of the controller to complete the rest of the setup but I have no connectivity between the AP/controller mgmt address and the network.

I have been able to get on to the AP console using 'hw-module session 0/3 endpoint 0' and run through the initial setup wizard. I have given the AP/controller a management address. Please see excerpt below from my controller output:

(Cisco Controller) >show interface detailed management

Interface Name................................... management
MAC Address...................................... 00:00:5e:00:01:01
IP Address....................................... 100.75.192.62
IP Netmask....................................... 255.255.255.252
IP Gateway....................................... 100.75.192.61

<OUTPUT-OMMITTED>

VLAN............................................. untagged

(Cisco Controller) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 8.8.100.0
OUI File Last Update Time........................ N/A

System Name...................................... c1117-ap

<OUTPUT-OMMITTED>

IP Address....................................... 100.75.192.62

<OUTPUT-OMMITTED>

Burned-in MAC Address............................ <MAC-ADDRESS-1>

If I use the command 'apciscoshell' from the controller that seems to take me to a different OS with different command structure. Please see below output from the device relating to the 'wired 0' interface

CISCO-AP#show interfaces wired 0
wired0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr <MAC-ADDRESS-2>

<MAC-ADDRESS-1> and <MAC-ADDRESS-2> are very similar, but not identical.

Within IOS I have configured a corresponding vlan interface as below

interface Vlan155
ip address 100.75.192.61 255.255.255.25

and I've configured the wlan-gig0/1/4 port as below

interface Wlan-GigabitEthernet0/1/4
switchport trunk native vlan 155
switchport mode trunk

Now, I can see a mac address in vlan 155 - it's <MAC-ADDRESS-2> - The one that is associated with the 'wired 0' interface on the AP. However, I can not ping 100.75.192.62 from the router as I cannot see any arp response for this IP. Not surprising given that the only mac address I'm learning dynamically on that vlan is that one that NOT the one that is associated with the mgmt interface of the controller.

Unfortunately, the config guide doesn't really go into any detail about how to configure the IOS-xe element of the "networking" between the AP/controller and the router itself... It's all a little bit confusing to someone who has not touched wireless on Cisco before!

Is anybody able to offer some guidance? Or else point me in the direction of a better guide?

Thanks,

Luke

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: