Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with 9120AXI and PoE

LLSDAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone, 

We've recently deployed a Cisco 9800-40 WLC and are in the process of switching out our 2702 AP's with 9120 AP's.  The first few switched out no problem, but we have a growing number of them that are flashing the General Warning diagnostic code.  On further inspection, the AP's that are flashing the general warning are running on 15.4w power.  We did not have this issue with the 2702 that was in it's place.  When I look at the switchport everything is set for Auto on the PoE, and shows the maximum power available at 30W.  I've tried a different switchport to see if maybe it was specific to the port, however the same issue is there.  The problem AP's are still working, however they are running in the medium power mode.  The switches are Cisco 3650's.

LLSDAdmin_0-1686673519444.png

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I'm chasing my tail on this one.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Refer below reference guide. If your switch provide PoE+ then AP should be able to operate full functionality. Check the total power budget of the switch and number of APs in that switch to see enough power available to all APs.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9100-access-points/215467-cisco-access-point-power-requirements-qu.html 

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 7.35.59 am.png

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Tryout (test)  a few relevant options as mentioned in https://www.thinlabs.com/faq/configure-cisco-switch-for-powering-poe-client  , also consider using  power inline limit 30000  (on the interfaces used by the APs)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi

Refer below reference guide. If your switch provide PoE+ then AP should be able to operate full functionality. Check the total power budget of the switch and number of APs in that switch to see enough power available to all APs.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9100-access-points/215467-cisco-access-point-power-requirements-qu.html 

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 7.35.59 am.png

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you for this.  I ended up stumbling across this as the issue later on in the day while I was testing a few things.  There are a handful of switches in the stacks that are overbudget, so we've been just moving which switch it's patched into to spread it out more evenly.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the command "sh version".  

I want to see the switch uptime and the firmware version.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Also ...

Are you using CDP or LLDP or both on the switch?
do "show cdp/lldp neigh detail" for the affected AP.

What version of software is the 9800-40 running?

LLSDAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you to everyone who commented and posted some ideas and possible solutions.  We found out that some of the switches were over their power budget and had to move around which switch in the stack the AP's are plugged into.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card