cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with connectivity when using 40mhz channel width

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wanted to see if anyone have experience slow performance when on the 5ghz and using 40mhz channel width. What I have noticed is that all clients can connect fine, it's just certain devices will have poor performance. Ping times to the gateway would be sporadic and times can hit 100s plus. Users can tell the difference also which raised a red flag. Also, two of my peers were experiencing this issue along with some of my clients device and contractors.

When we forced the client device to 20mhz only, the issue went away. Users worked with not issues. After a few hours, I disabled 40mhz and set it to 20mhz and put the client configuration on the wireless adapter back to default. Users again gave us feedback that there were no issues and it was working great.

Here is a list of wireless adapter that experience issues.

Intel 6230 driver 14.2.1.1

Intel 6205 driver 14.3.0.6

Intel 6205 driver 14.0.1.2 (Some are working fine some are not)

The WLC are 5508s and we had 7.2.110.0 on one and 7.2.111.3 on the other. APs were 3602i's and also tested with a 3502i.

If anyone has this same setup, I would like to see if you can run some test. Again, clients can connect, but performance is poor. I'm opening a TAC case soon:)

Thanks!

Scott

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Scott,

Funny you mention this ... I just sent you an email. We have the same issue. But we see all layer 3 drops after a few minutes. Problem goes away after we upgraded to 15.x ... I will provide more details in email.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks! The issue we were Are facing is that the laptop manufacture doesn't have the 15.x driver versions out. Even though intel might have a newer version, the company only allows supported driver version from the manufacture:)

-Scott

cant fix stupid ...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Haha... That's why 20mhz is going to be their standard:)

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card