Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with Out Of Box Feature

ittechk4u1
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Experts,

I enabled the Out Of Box feature on WLC. It is working but once i move the AP in another group still i see that both radios are down for that access Point.

Is it a bug ? or I am doing any wrong here!!!

Thanks in Advance.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Even I facing the same issuewith 8.0.140.0 version. I checked everywhere but there is no BUG ID related to it.

I did this:

Here are my steps:

1. Enable the Out of Box AP group and Persistence.

2. Reset a already joined AP to factory default.

3. AP again joined to Out Of Box AP group with radios disabled.

4. I moved the AP to other Group but still showing the radios disabled.

So what I need to do is to manually enabled the radios for 802.11b and 802.11a manually for each new AP.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is the main function of Out-of-Box feature:  All radios are off.

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Even I am facing the same issue with Cisco WLC version 8.0.140.0. But i did not find any BUG ID related to it!!

Here are my steps:

So what I need to do is to manually enabled the radios for 802.11b and 802.11a manually for each new AP.

Regards

I found it varies with the codes, 8.2.141.0 brings them up opon moving them to an active AP Group but 8.0.110.0 / 8.0.140.0 were keeping them down. As Leo says, it is a feature but some consistency (ha!) across codes would be lovely!

I use a CPI Template to do "End of Rollout" on all the APs once they've moved to an active AP Group which includes enabling the 802.11a and 802.11b radios as I also found that enabling the AP radios manually didn't always stick through reloads.

To enable manually (should you desire to torture yourself):

debug capwap console cli

conf t

int do0

no shut

int do1

no shut

end

write

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

10 Replies 10

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Even I facing the same issuewith 8.0.140.0 version. I checked everywhere but there is no BUG ID related to it.

I did this:

Here are my steps:

Regards

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is the main function of Out-of-Box feature:  All radios are off.

Hello guys!

is there any way to configure the out of Box on 9800-40 for the first join of the AP?

I saw that for the first time the AP are in the default policy profile and the first 16 WLAN ID are associated with it, We disabled the default policy profile, but still, we see the SSID? is there any way to not see the SSID?

Thanks.

dont know much about 9800 wlc but i have seen a post about it.

check it:

https://goodwi.fi/index.php?/archives/7-6-weeks-with-Cisco-newest-wireless-controller,-the-Catalyst-9800.html

Thanks

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Even I am facing the same issue with Cisco WLC version 8.0.140.0. But i did not find any BUG ID related to it!!

Here are my steps:

Regards

I found it varies with the codes, 8.2.141.0 brings them up opon moving them to an active AP Group but 8.0.110.0 / 8.0.140.0 were keeping them down. As Leo says, it is a feature but some consistency (ha!) across codes would be lovely!

I use a CPI Template to do "End of Rollout" on all the APs once they've moved to an active AP Group which includes enabling the 802.11a and 802.11b radios as I also found that enabling the AP radios manually didn't always stick through reloads.

To enable manually (should you desire to torture yourself):

debug capwap console cli

conf t

int do0

no shut

int do1

no shut

end

write

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Thanks Rich. I will also try with 8.2 or higher version.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That is the feature of Out-of-Box. If enabled, the radios are disabled. This feature is primarily used if the controller is a "staging" controller (before the APs get sent to their correct controller).

ittechk4u1
Level 4
Level 4
Thank you all.

To workaround the annoyance of the radio interfaces not enabling after changing to a custom AP group and rebooting, try setting the RF profile setting to 'none' in the Out-of-Box AP group settings:

image.png

Test:

- AP 'Clear config' via WLC

- AP comes up with DHCP-leased address and default hostname (AP<mac>)

- Confirmed: Radio Interfaces are UP!

- Confirmed: AP group has automatically been set to 'Out-of-Box'

The Out-of-Box AP group doesn't contain any WLANs by default. There shouldn't be any interference since there aren't any WLANs to broadcast (is the theory). Now, when changing the AP group to a custom one and then having the AP reboot - all should be fine.

Also, i think having the Radio Interfaces disabled (by Out-of-Box) and not re-enabled after changing to a custom AP group is by design.

This has all been tested and confirmed on a Cisco 7500 Flex WLC running IOS version 8.2.164.0 with 1700 series AP's.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: