Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues associating APs to 5520 WLC

zacharyhall6
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning!

I have a 4x 2802i APs that need to associate to a 5520 Controller. They are on the same subnet/vlan with the same gateway.

The tricky part is that we cannot connect the SFP+ cables yet, as they are being ordered.

How would I go about associating APs to the controller through the "M" management-redundancy port? I have DHCP scope options set, but would like to validate that it is correct for this specific controller/AP combo.

I have limited knowledge of this platform (CIMC and Virtual Appliance), but have a decent knowledge in the older 2504/5508 Controllers.

Please let me know if you need any additional info!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

How would I go about associating APs to the controller through the "M" management-redundancy port?

You cannot do it. You have to get connectivity through those SFP ports.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

How would I go about associating APs to the controller through the "M" management-redundancy port?

You cannot do it. You have to get connectivity through those SFP ports.

HTH

Rasika

I appreciate that, it seemed strange when I was told that you could perform all traffic functions through that "M" port, especially considering that port serves as a management interface for the overall chassis.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions!

5520-Ports.JPG
Port "M" is CIMC (Cisco Integrated Management Controller) port used to manage/monitor UCS server functionality. Not to manage WLC functions.

Next is console port &  SP is service ports. RP is for redundancy port for HA link.

HTH

Rasika

Thanks for the illustration! We obtained a third party direct-attach copper 10G cable, but despite configuring the switch to recognize unsupported transceivers, I am still unable to get link lights on the connection. Is there some way to enable third party transceiver usage on the 5520/UCS?

I wouldn't have thought you could use third party transceivers tbh, Cisco started blocking them on switches a while back.

If you have bought the 5520 then the correct transceivers are barely anything cost wise.

The cheapest solution is to use the official twinax cables from Cisco, these have the built in transceivers and work out cheaper than buying the separate parts

I was surprised as well, even on 15.2 all you need is:

service unsupported-transceiver
no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the controller supports that in any fashion. Thanks for the quick response!

Here is supported transceivers with 5520

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/5520-WLC-DG/b_Cisco-5520-WLC-deployment-guide.html#topic_3778CA7D60DD40289E1269AEFFDD5E37

SFP Support

Network ports for 5520 WLC support the following Cisco SFP/SFP+ modules:

• GLC-T

• SFP-10G-SR

• SFP-10G-LR

• SFP-10G-LRM

• SFP-H10GB-CU1M

• SFP-H10GB-CU2M

• SFP-H10GB-CU2-5M

• SFP-H10GB-CU3M

• SFP-H10GB-CU5M

• SFP-H10GB-ACU7M

• SFP-H10GB-ACU10M

• SFP-10G-AOC7M

• SFP-H10GB-CU1-5M

• SFP-10G-AOC3M

• SFP-10G-AOC1M

• SFP-10G-AOC2M

• SFP-10G-AOC5M

• SFP-10G-AOC10M

• GLC-LH*

• GLC-EX-SMD*

• GLC-SX-MMD*

• SFP-10G-SR-S

• SFP-10G-LR-S

Note

*Needs GLC-T on Port 1.

HTH

Rasika

I use axiom optics on mine with no issues. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: