Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

It's AIR AP1242G in "End-Of-Life"

I must to install an AP1242 and my supplier tell me is not posible to get a AP1242.

Could somebody tell me what is the actual acess point replacing AP1242G?

Can I install the new access point in a building with coverage study made with AP1242G?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Well the newer type of antennas are dual band for one and has better downtilt than the older dynamite stick looking antennas.  When using seperate antennas, they also have to be space properly.  That is no more than 3x the wavelength.

AIR-ANT2460NP-R is a patch antenna and you can use that if you want.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

valeriy.nebogin
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem. By EOS EOL Notice 1602 or 2602 are suggested replacement for 1242 series APs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6521/end_of_life_notice_c51-726425.html

We  used 1242G in our warehouse only with one omnidirectional(2.4 GHz)  antenna connected to one of two   1242 AP (2.4GHz) connectors .

1602  APs have three antenna connectors and following  Antenna Product  Portfolio for Cisco Aironet 802.11n Access Points we must install three   omnidirectional  antenna per AP.

Is this absolutely necessary to use three antenna  for 802.11 g ?

When you look at replacing access points, you need to also look at replacing the antennas. I have seen so many customer go that route and try to connect their old antennas to the old one, to later on swap out all the antennas. In a warehouse, I would I with the 2602e or 3602e and use the single antenna with 4 antenna leads. This is a single mounting solution which works great in many of my warehouse, storage, distribution centers and factories.

This is the antenna I use in these environments.

AIR-ANT2544V4M-R=

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Thank you for advice and sharing your experience .

But cost also matters   AIR-ANT2544V4M-R  GPL 799 USD   this is  comparable with AP cost.   We wont plan  802.11a or even  802.11n using , and  I dont see(or understand) any reasons to use dual  band antenna.  What are advantages over  simple omnidirectional antennas  like dipole in this case?

I see one:   Simplicity of  mounting.

Why bother getting a new AP that supports 802.11n if your using one antenna. One antenna indoors is a bad design because you can't use diversity. You can do that if you want, but Cisco will only support the antennas designed for that model AP. If you search around in the forum there are others who have done what you did. Again, you can use the antenna if you want, but there is no support for that design.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

I think valeriy.nebogin

wants to say that what is the difference between install

AIR-ANT2544V4M-R=

or 3 AIR-ANT2524DW-R (one in each connector). And it's my question also.

But I have another one:

I found in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/access_point/1600/quick/guide/ap1600getstart.html#wp59090

that AIR-ANT2566P4W-R is the directional antenna supported on the 1602E. and it has 4 ports.

What's the difference with AIR-ANT2460NP-R? (Beamwidth yes, and price) Can I use antenna AIR-ANT2460NP-R with the Acces Point AIR CAP1602E-E-K9?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/data_sheet_ant2460np.pdf

Best regards

Well the newer type of antennas are dual band for one and has better downtilt than the older dynamite stick looking antennas.  When using seperate antennas, they also have to be space properly.  That is no more than 3x the wavelength.

AIR-ANT2460NP-R is a patch antenna and you can use that if you want.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: