Views
Helpful
Replies

LIC-CT3504-UPG and LIC-CT3504-1A

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have just inherited a setup where there are 2x AIR-CT3504-K9 managing 53x AIR-AP2802I-S-K9 access points. For the 3504 WLCs i notice there are 2x license subscription as indicated below that will be due soon. Will it cause any wifi outage if i do not renew the license subscription for the following in time? What are the following subscription use for? Thank you.

1) LIC-CT3504-UPG (Top Level SKU for 3504 AP Adder Licenses)

2) LIC-CT3504-1A (Cisco 3504 Wireless Controller 1 AP Adder License)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 3504 uses RTU (right to use) license.  You have purchased the license already, so that should be perpetual.  It's the support that you would need to renew so that you can download software and patches along with getting support.

You only would buy adder license if you are adding more access points or planning to add more access points.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 3504 uses RTU (right to use) license.  You have purchased the license already, so that should be perpetual.  It's the support that you would need to renew so that you can download software and patches along with getting support.

You only would buy adder license if you are adding more access points or planning to add more access points.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the clarification. This means that as long as my WLCs manage less than 150 APs, i do not need the following subscription right?

1) LIC-CT3504-1A (Cisco 3504 Wireless Controller 1 AP Adder License)

Okay, so the 3504 can support up to 150 access points.  When you buy the controller you typically will also buy license for each access point you have.  Then when you add access points, you buy additional adder license(s).  Once you purchase these license, then you go and add the number of adder license you have purchased on the controller license page.  So it's best to look at what you have purchased and how many ap's you have now or plan to have.  Some folks go around buying licenses, but that is the wrong way to do things as its a trust between the customer and Cisco.  You can also reach out to your Cisco rep for assistance and they can help guide you on what you need to do.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card