cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

limit connections

micwill3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If there is a meeting with 500 people, and the room has multiple APs, is there a way to limit the number of concurrent connections? Meaning the devices general connect to the AP with the strongest signal. So if all connect to this device it would be bad. Rather connect to a weaker AP and get better service due to less load. Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

5 Replies 5

Felix Arrieta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no way to limit the number of connections per AP, as you said the client is the one that decide  which AP to join based on the signal and  other metrics such as missed becons, frame acknowledgement and other vendor specific.

This design issue can only be address by doing a site survey; start from indentifying the antenna location and  measuring the access points signal, testing both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ radius to determine their  signal values to define location and signal coverage.

There is a way to limit the number of clients per SSID assuming you have a WLC, I know  it is not what you're looking for anyways, just saying to avoid any confusion.

cheers,

Felix, could be a partial solution to enable aggresive load balancing on the wlc?

Unfortunately no. Aggressive load balance doesnt work. Most clients ignore reason code 17.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Just as George mention  the client will insist and get join anyways.

cheers,

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Wireless LAN Design Guide for High Density Client Environments

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/education/cisco_wlan_design_guide.pdf

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card