cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limitation WLAN 16 maxi 9115AXI

dan76
Level 1
Level 1

We need to add a WLAN 17 in the network. We have tried configuring group app and profile policy without success. Do you have a solution?

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Post error observed and command included when trying , note that using  so many SSID's is considered bad practice, limit to 4 or 5 max ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi,

We manage 22 companies and we have to use several SSID and the same controler.

"Information About WLANs

This feature enables you to control WLANs for lightweight access points. Each WLAN has a separate WLAN ID, a separate profile name, and a WLAN SSID. All access points can advertise up to 16 WLANs. However, you can create up to 4096 WLANs and then selectively advertise these WLANs (using profiles and tags) to different access points for better manageability."

You need to reference the data sheet and configuration guide.  A controller can manager a lot of wlans, but as an example, a 2504 has a max of 16 wlans you can configure.  So you need to look at the guides if you are using a controller or is these are EWC to determine that max SSID you can configure.

You should provide what controller you have and code also.  Even a screen shot with the error would be helpful.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What, exactly, are you trying to do: 

1. Are you trying to configure 17th WLAN in the controller; or
  2. Are you trying to get the APs to broadcast 17 SSID?

APs will only broadcast up to 16 SSIDs.  If you have a WLAN network that requires APs to broadcast >4 then someone really need to re-design your wireless network.

dan76
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, We are triying to configure 17th WLAN in the controller.

We have 34 access points, where we broadcast a maximum of three SSIDs per group of APs, but the number of SSIDs registered on our controllers exceeds 16

I think it's not possible, I just looked at this article

What is the model of the controller and what firmware is the controller running on?

Embedded controlleur wireless 9115AXI

firmware : 17.6.4

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html
        >...A WLAN associates a Service Set Identifier (SSID) to VLANs. It is configured with the security type, Quality of Service (QoS), radio policies, and other wireless network parameters. On an EWC network, up to 16 WLANs can be configured. The WLANs can be mapped to VLANs trunked on the switch port.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Get a 9800 cloud controller.

Thanks for your help

Is the C9800-CL ESXI OVA subject to the purchase of a license ?
(OVA ESXI)?

>...Is the C9800-CL ESXI OVA subject to the purchase of a license ?
  No licenses are required to download,  deploy and boot up a C9800-CL controller. However each access point requires two licenses to entitled to connect : one AIR Network license and one AIR DNA license. Both of these license can be configured to be either Essential or Advantage level,

M.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

No license needed for 9800-CL but as Marce says you need a license for each AP.  You can also purchase support for the 9800-CL otherwise you will not be entitled to software upgrades.
The AP license can be Essential or Advantage but WLC can only support one or the other - you can't mix and match on the same WLC so all APs must have the same license level.
When you buy the license you get the DNA license and the network license together by default (make sure you get both as we heard about 1 case where the reseller somehow ordered 1 without the other).  The DNA license is a subscription which will expire after the purchased subscription period but the network license does not expire so you can keep on using the AP with the WLC after that but it won't support DNA features - probably not a problem for you.

FYI: EWC was only ever intended to be for running a single site - it was never intended to be a multi-tenanted service provider WLC which is why it's limited 16 WLANs

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card