cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

linux support for 802.11a/b/g

charles.pike
Level 1
Level 1

When will there be linux utilities and drivers for Aironet 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN client adapters (CB21AG and PI21AG)

cheers.

5 Replies 5

nrc_ebus
Level 1
Level 1

Although you won't get LEAP or Cisco extensions support, the madwifi drivers will get you connectivity. The drivers currently support WEP without any issues and they also have just introduced WPA support.

See:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi

Hi,

I just installed SUSE Linux on my Dell Lattitude with Cisco Aironet 802.11a/b/g cardbus PCMCIA adapter. SuSE sees the card and YAST2 reports all is well, so I don't think I have a driver problem. What is need to know is how to set it for Open Authentication and set the SSID and the WEP key.

Am a newbie with Linux but know some stuff about wireless and networking in general.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

You might want to try the Novell/SUSE support forums at http://support.novell.com/forums/2su.html. Go to "Networking". You can also use your NNTP reader to check out support-forums.novell.com.

Personally I use Novell Linux Desktop - works like a charm. It picks up my Centrino wireless card but I had to throw in the firmware as it is not licensed...

Cheers,

Josef.

PS - rate if it 'elps ;-)

Thanks for your prompt reply, Josef.

I looked on the novell forums but have not yet posted. A large part of my problem is de to linux-ignorance. Any hand-holding you can provide would be much appreciated.

For example, the Cisco doc Linux-ACU-Driver-v21ReleaseNotes.pdf talks about the need for libgtkmm version 1.2.10 libsigc++ version 1.0.4. I searched and found several files that *might* be those libraries, but they are all for diferent versions of SuSE linux - 7.x, 9.0 and 9.1, but none for SuSe desktop Linux 1.0. (I downloaded all three, but have not yet tried to install(compile?) them: libsigc++-1.0.4.tar.gz , libsigc++-2.0.6.tar.gz and libsigc++-1.2.5.tar.gz). I also downloaded three different rpms: gtkmm-1.2.10-154.src.rpm, gtkmm-1.2.10-31.src.rpm and gtkmm-1.2.10-297.src.rpm.

I realize that my underlying confusion about Linux is a problem. I am tackling this in two directions: 1.] Doing bottom-up learning about Linux in general, and 2.] tasking myself with specific problems to solve, such as getting this 802.11a/b/g card to work.

Another complicating factor is that the card is too new and Cisco has not released a specific driver. However, other posts on this forum indicate that I *might* be able to get it to work with the 350 driver.

Here's some embarrasing newbie questions: what steps do I perform to install a library? Does one need to complile the library source, or should one search for an rpm?

Finally, upon re-examining the hardware info in YAST2, I notice that it sees the hardware, but does not list an associated driver. (for example, the 3Com lan card shows up in YAST2 with a "+Driver" , but there is no "+Driver" listed for the wireless card). So, I have not only a problem with ACU, but also need a driver. The file linux-acu-driver-v21.tar.gz contains drivers for the 350 card along with an "experimental" driver that might be the one for the a/b/g cardbus card.

Help! :-D

TIA, Steve

after1111
Level 1
Level 1

Hey charles,

ANy luck with the 802.11a/b/g driver?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card