cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

M2 MAC Pro WiFi 6e Fails to join when Fast Transition set to ADAPTIVE

charles
Level 1
Level 1

Latest M2, M2Max, M2Pro, MAC Book Pro WiFi 6E cannot connect to Cisco WiFi when Fast Transition (FT) is set to "Adaptive"

Is anyone else having issues with the Latest M2 Mac Book Pros (with WiFi 6E) not connecting to Cisco AIROS Controller-based Networks if Fast Transition (FT) is set to ADAPTIVE? Tested on the Latest 8.10.183.0 with 9130,3800,3700 Series AP. Also Tested on 8.5.182.2 with 3600 series APs. Other Mac and IOS devices work fine.

No other vendor can support Adaptive mode, it is proprietary to Cisco and Apple. The result is that all non-iOS devices (inc MacOS < v12 ) will connect and roam without FT. But iOS devices can “Adapt” (upscale) their ‘Authentication and Key Management’ suite (AKM) to connect with FT even though the SSID does not support it.

If the SSID FT option is set to ENABLED the M2 WiFi6e device can connect.
If the SSID FT option is set to DISABLED the M2 WiFi6e device can connect.

The devices ASSOCIATES and does 802.1x Auth but then cannot get an IP address and gets self-assigned IP then disconnects. This is all happening on WiFi 5Ghz (no 6Ghz)

from the apple site

802.11r

Wi-Fi network roaming with 802.11k, 802.11r and 802.11v on iOS, iPadOS and macOS – Apple Support (AU)

When your device roams from one AP to another on the same network, 802.11r uses a feature called Fast Basic Service Set Transition (FT) to authenticate more quickly. FT works with both pre-shared key (PSK) and 802.1X authentication methods. iOS 10 and later, iPadOS and macOS 12 include support for adaptive 802.11r on Cisco wireless networks. Adaptive 802.11r offers FT without the need to enable 802.11r on the configured Cisco wireless network. To support adaptive 802.11r, the Cisco network must be using controller code version 8.3 or later.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mrTeigen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have found the problem, and I have found the solution. The issue seems to be that the MacBook fails when you have CCKM turned on (CCKM authentication key management will be deprecated soon.)  and I used tools like Metageek Tonic to see the same result you got, it loops a couple of times before leaving the BSS. Then I turned off CCKM since I am used to that being disabled on a C9800 controller with a warning that it will de deprecated soon.

Below is a capture in Tonic, where we see the "loop" and I looked in the pcap and got the same fault you got.

[Non-FT AKM suite is prohibited for FT association request]

CCKM_Macbook_Pro.png

So, after it was turned off. My Macbook Pro 2023 can successfully join my FT-adaptive SSID.

Macbook_joined_with_adaptive.png

View solution in original post

charles
Level 1
Level 1

Apple has fixed this bug on MAC OS 13.4.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Try client debugging for those clients who can not connect : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/100260-wlc-debug-client.html , you can have debugs analyzed with : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-debug-analyzer/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

charles
Level 1
Level 1

Already done that below is when FT set to ADAPTIVE....     (Next is to get a traffic wireless AIR Capture)

Client made new Association to AP/BSSID BSSID  AP 
WLC recognizes that the client is 802.11r-capable
The WLC/AP has found from client association request Information Element that claims PMKID Caching support
The Reassociation Request from the client comes with 0 PMKID
Client has successfully cleared AP association phase
WLC/AP is sending an Association Response to the client with status code 0 = Successful association
Client will be required to Reauthenticate in 0
seconds
WLC/AP is sending EAP-Identity-Request to the client
RADIUS Server permitted access
4-Way PTK Handshake, Sending M1
4-Way PTK Handshake, Received M2
4-Way PTK Handshake, Client did not respond with M2
4-Way PTK Handshake, Retransmitting M1 retry #1
4-Way PTK Handshake, Retransmitting M1 retry #2
4-Way PTK Handshake, Retransmitting M1 retry #3
4-Way PTK Handshake, Retransmitting M1 retry #4
Client has been deauthenticated
Client expiration timer code set for 10 seconds. The reason: Roaming failed due to WLAN security policy mismatch between controllers (configuration error). It can also be used to report EAPoL retry errors, and GTK rotation failure (in 8.5)

charles
Level 1
Level 1

This is the log when FT is set to enabled.

Client made new Association to AP/BSSID BSSID  AP
The WLC/AP has found from client association request Information Element that claims PMKID Caching support
Client is entering the 802.1x or PSK Authentication state
Client has successfully cleared AP association phase
WLC/AP is sending an Association Response to the client with status code 0 = Successful association
seconds
WLC/AP is sending EAP-Identity-Request to the client
Client sent EAP-Identity-Response to WLC/AP
RADIUS Server permitted access
seconds
WLC creates a PMK cache entry for this client, which is used for FT with AKM:802.1xin this case, so the PMKID is computed with the AP MAC address
4-Way PTK Handshake, Sending M1
4-Way PTK Handshake, Sending M3
Client has completed PSK Dot1x or WEP authentication phase
Client has entered DHCP Required state
Received DHCP request from client
WLC begins FT fast-secure roaming over-the-Air with this client and performs a type of preauthentication, because the client asks for this with FT on the Authentication frame that is sent to the new AP over-the-Air (before the Reassociation Request).
Local roaming event triggered with the new AP to which the client roams.
FT fast-secure roaming is successful for this client.
Client is entering the 802.1x or PSK Authentication state
Client has completed PSK Dot1x or WEP authentication phase
Received DHCP OFFER from DHCP server
Received DHCP ACK from DHCP server
Client has entered RUN state
Received DHCP ACK, assigning IP Address x.x.x.x
Received DHCP ACK from DHCP server

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

This seems like a Client issue when using ADAPTIVE mode as AP is retransmitting M1 (it's not receiving the right M2 as the debug says there is an M2).

mrTeigen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Strange that you are allowed to use adaptive at all. Since WPA3-SAE does not support FT, so you have to set it to disabled. In later versions you will have FT+SAE (Don't know if that is supported on Aireos) but with FT+SAE you have to set it to Enabled. It's no such thing as Adaptive WPA3-SAE on a C9800 for example.

Added pictures from a C9800. 

Thank you for this info and the pictures.   In My case using a Cisco AIROS Controller 8.10.183.0 and there is No 6GHz  or SAE or OWE

It is just simple  2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz  WiFi 4,5,6   With WPA2  AES  Other MAC >v12 and IOS devices and New Samsung work fine.   It is just the new M2 Based Mac Book Pro that does not.  When FT is set to ADAPTIVE.

mrTeigen
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you! I have now because of you renewed my ISE license, and renewed my Windows Server 2022 license that had 1 day left on them.

Then I have configured a WPA2/3-Enterprise SSID with FT-Adapitve and my MacBook Pro 2023 model (with 6E) joined both 2.4 and 5GHz. My telemetry data say the client supports FT. I captured the association with my WlanPi, and I see that FT is enabled in the beacon. This was tested on 9136 and 9166, I have a 9120 I can test with later and maybe turn on my virtual AireOS, been a while. 

Added a picture from my configuration on a 9800, and a picture of a probe response where we se Mobility Domain IE, and AKM-suite WPA meant for non-FT clients. This seems to work, but I would need to roam after I have charged the battery a bit to see it working in action. Will comment on that later. 

charles
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for confirming that it is not a problem with CAT OS (could you try with WPA3 not ticked and protected management frames disabled)   it would be great if you could test with AIROS and 9120.    I have tried with two controllers AIROS CONTROLLERS.   Latest 8.10.183.0 with 9130,3800,3700 Series APs.     Also Tested on 8.5.182.2 with 3600 series APs and both times can not get M2 Macbook pro to join with same debug.

mrTeigen
Level 1
Level 1

I regret I did not have a capture going on at this point, this is what happened.

1. I turned off WPA3, and set PMF to disabled
  2. I tried joining the SSID and I got a popup from MacOS saying it could not join this network, but it still joined but jumped back to a different SSID a few seconds later.
  3. Then I tried joining a different SSID then back again, but then MacOS got stuck loading the adaptive SSID constantly, and the weird thing is that it continued to load that SSID even if I joined a different one.
  4. I could not get that loading away, so I had to disable the 9120 and turn it back on so MacOS could not hear the adaptive SSID anymore (I could have disabled the SSID, but I was already in the AP config menu). Turn off and on the WLAN card on the MacBook did not work, each time It joined a working SSID but loaded the adaptive SSID in the background (clearly a bug)
  5. Turned off and on WLAN on the MacOS again after I had disabled the AP and enabled it again, and now it works with WPA2, PMF Disabled and FT-adaptive but wow that was unstable.

I have yet to get a working ft-enabled or ft-adaptive roam to work, I got an error that the controller could not validate the PMKID for fast roaming for example. Below is from the debug when it started working. I will have the debug running, and do a bit more captures.

2023/02/12 15:37:35.790 dot11 Association success for client, assigned AID is: 1
2023/02/12 15:37:35.790 client-orch-sm Client started layer 2 authentication (either dot1X or PSK)
2023/02/12 15:37:35.794 client-auth Entering 802.1X authentication process
2023/02/12 15:37:36.473 client-auth Starting EAPOL 4-Way Handshake
2023/02/12 15:37:36.474 client-keymgmt Sent M1 for EAPOL 4-Way Handshake
2023/02/12 15:37:36.479 client-keymgmt Received and validated M2 for EAPOL 4-Way Handshake
2023/02/12 15:37:36.479 client-keymgmt Sent M3 for EAPOL 4-Way Handshake
2023/02/12 15:37:36.482 client-keymgmt Received and validated M4 for EAPOL 4-Way Handshake
2023/02/12 15:37:36.482 client-keymgmt Negotiated the following encryption mechanism: AKM:11W-DOT1X Cipher:CCMP WPA Version: WPA2
2023/02/12 15:37:36.482 client-orch-sm Client passed layer 2 authentication
2023/02/12 15:37:36.482 client-orch-sm Policy profile is configured for local switching
2023/02/12 15:37:36.482 client-orch-state Starting Mobility Anchor discovery for client
2023/02/12 15:37:36.487 client-orch-state Entering IP learn state

charles
Level 1
Level 1

charles_0-1676273000030.png

did an AIR Capture   "Non-FT AKM Suite is Prohibited for FT association request"     

mrTeigen
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting! I will bring up my vWLC lab this week and test. When I test it works all the time, but I have a yet to get a working FT roaming happening. But our config is now pretty similar. None of my captures mentioned this, good find! 

If you could share all the WLAN config, then I will replicate at home with all APs I can find. 

charles
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your help

Setting attached.

charles
Level 1
Level 1

Confirmed this is also an issue with the new IPAD Pro M2 with (WiFi 6e chipset)   Waiting to test a MAC M2 Mini (with WiFi 6e chipset)

mrTeigen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have found the problem, and I have found the solution. The issue seems to be that the MacBook fails when you have CCKM turned on (CCKM authentication key management will be deprecated soon.)  and I used tools like Metageek Tonic to see the same result you got, it loops a couple of times before leaving the BSS. Then I turned off CCKM since I am used to that being disabled on a C9800 controller with a warning that it will de deprecated soon.

Below is a capture in Tonic, where we see the "loop" and I looked in the pcap and got the same fault you got.

[Non-FT AKM suite is prohibited for FT association request]

CCKM_Macbook_Pro.png

So, after it was turned off. My Macbook Pro 2023 can successfully join my FT-adaptive SSID.

Macbook_joined_with_adaptive.png

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card