cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Manually assigning channels and RRM Setting?

Sam Takach
Level 1
Level 1

My wireless network consists mainly of approximately 1400 AP's 900 x 3602's, 500 x 3502's

The majority of these AP's especially the new ones have been manually optimised for channel and power settings. We paid an external surveyor to survey and optimise the AP's.   

We have a few 5505 WLC's and the channel assignment method is set to "Freeze"  

My question is, if someone invokes a channel update on a WLC, will the WLC override the original manual channel setting if the WLC thinks it should be changed?  And will the original setting be lost forever unless a restore is performed from the WLC Database?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you click on Wireless | Access Points | Radios | 802.11a/n

The Channels or Power that have an * is using RRM.  Here is an image

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That will not change the manually configured channel or power set on a per ap basis.  This will only change the access points that are set to us RRM.  So you can still have RRM change either the channel or the power if not manually set.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

For example... I have some indoor mesh AP's that require the channel and power to be set before I can set them to bridge mode and then configure my RAP or MAP.  I also have the other AP's that are in local mode using RRM and my original channels and power on the mesh AP's do not change.  So you will be fine... So I'm assuming you have some AP's that are set and some that are not?

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Yes, about half are manually set, and the rest seem to have just been installed and not set at all.  

Wow thanks for the fast response Scott, do you know how I can check if an AP is set to use RRM?  

Also one more.. I noticed in the logs that there are lots of channel changes due to "Radar" I found the sticky doc on this site, and understand it could be due to incorerct detection etc, But am I right in assuming that even if the AP's are manually set they will change channel in this scenario? 

If you click on Wireless | Access Points | Radios | 802.11a/n

The Channels or Power that have an * is using RRM.  Here is an image

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card