Views
Helpful
Replies

Math behind result

michal.dudzak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can anybody explain math behind result of this qestion for wireless newbie? What is the simpiest way to solve this situations and how i can solve similiar real life situations like this? I understand what is dBm in reference to mW (or lets say how to conver that) what is dBi and cable loss however i dont see logic behind this.

How signal from transmitting 28dBm (631mW) can appear on other side as -45dBm. (0,0000316mW) when i tested this in real life i litterary put my device on the ap sticking them together and RSSI on device still were -25dBm at best. Is there such a big loss when only distance is plastic separating device and ap?

Keith Barker introduced wery simple math of converting dBm to mW (06- dBs and Watts - 200-355 CBTnuggets) is it possible to apply his math on this example?

Sincerely Michal

3 Replies 3

There is one piece of information is missing in this question. What is the Free space loss in this scenario (typically based on Freqency & distance between Tx & Rx)

Receiver Signal level = Transmitter Signal level + Cable loss at Tx + Tx Antenna Gain + Free Space loss + Rx Antenna Gain + Rx cable loss

HTH

Rasika

Thank you for the answer Rasika, iam glad that person as yourself joined this this discussion. How is possible to come out with correct answer if one puzzle for math pattern is missing. Should i have to estimate answer? I have no idea how...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card