cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mdns bonjor services across subnets

jerry.larson
Level 1
Level 1

Could anybody tell me how they get around the limitations of Mdns across subnets when using flex connect with dynamic vlan assignment. If I have an instructor who logs in and is assigned admin vlan and a student logs in and is assigned student vlan. How would they share services without an external bonjour gateway?

thank you, 

4 Replies 4

sandjose_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

There is no work around

You would require a external bonjour proxy /gateway to respond to the advertisement query .

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/bonjour/Bonjour74/Printer_Services.html#wp1056383

For locally switched WLANs, Bonjour continues to work in a single subnet only.

thank you, 

Rahul Kachalia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jerry,

You may find the solution with new Cisco Software Defined Bonjour.

The Bonjour gateway function can be implemented between APIC-EM Controller and IOS switches to enable Bonjour discovery and distribution in Local Area (between VLANs) and Wide Area (between L3 Switches). WLC should be implemented with Wireless multicast to pass-thru mDNS communications with end-points.

Please find more information in following APIC-EM Release Notes :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-enterprise-module/1-3-x/sd-bonjour/release_notes/b_sd_bonjour_rn_133x.html

thanks,

rahul.

I am trying to test the Wide Area Bonjour Application (4.11.0.10021) in APIC-EM. I am using a single 3850 Switch as the SDG agents with 3 VLANs. One for mgmt and two for the devices. I have connected a Access Point AP 3602 to the switch. I am able to view the mdns cache in the switch but the changes are not reflected in the Wide Area Bonjour Application in the APIC-EM. Also the SDG agents in the Wide Area are as shown as "Agent Down". Can anyone tell me what could be reason for this ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card