cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mDNS on Embedded Wireless Controller

svardie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have trouble configuring mDNS for AirPrint services on EWC.

What i have:

Fully fuctioning 9120 AP with EWC controller on it, software version of EWC is 17.6.1b. Connected to trunk port on switch. Printer resides in different VLAN from WLAN clients.

What i did:

Created mDNS Service List for IN and OUT, checked "all" assigned services.

Created Service Policy and attached my IN and OUT lists to it.

In WLAN settings switched mDNS to Gateway mode

In Policy Profile Advanced tab choosed my mDSN Service Policy.

After this, i can see mDNS cached advertisements from my printer in Monitoring - Services - mDNS tab, but WLAN clients can't see it. Looks like controller accepts mDNS messages, but don't offer them to clients.

10 Replies 10

svardie
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

I managed to make printer visible to wifi clients, but they can't connect to it with error. I can connect on wired network, so there is defintely something wrong with wifi. What can i check?

Wireless and wired clients inside the same VLAN?

No, in different VLANs. That is what i'm trying to do - make AirPrint work from different VLANs. If i put everything in same VLAN, it works fine. With different VLANs i can discover printer, but can't connect to it. I'm assuming, that mDNS is working, at least partially, because printer discovery works when they are in different VLAN, but i'm missing something.

My question was more pointed regarding, does it work if the PC is in the same VLAN on Wi-Fi as wired?

Yes, if wireless clients and printer in the same VLAN AirPrint works fine. If they are in different VLAN's, printer is still visible through mDNS but devices can't connect to it. 

Let me ask this different.
Client in VLAN 10 Wi-Fi and printer in VLAN 20 wired = not working
Client in VLAN 10 Wi-Fi and printer in VLAN 10 wired = working
Client in VLAN 10 wired and printer in VLAN 20 wired = working or not working?

@patoberli wrote:
Client in VLAN 10 wired and printer in VLAN 20 wired = working or not working?

Not working. AirPrint multicast works only in same broadcast domain. That's why i want to setup my EWC as mDNS gateway for Wi-Fi users in their own VLAN still being able to contact AirPrint printer in wired network, which is in different VLAN.

Can you recheck the deployment guide, specifically the Restrictions and Prerequisites? 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-3/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_3/m_local_area_bonjour_ewc_ap_mode.html

Here the newer configuration guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-6/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_6/m_mdns_gateway.html#id_97319

Specifically did you do this: 

Since the Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller will respond and advertise for services cached when acting as a Bonjour Gateway, it must have an SVI interface with a valid IP address on every VLAN where mDNS is allowed or used.

Can i implement this on EWC running on Cisco 9120 Access Point? It has one L3 interface and it supposed to be that way for managment purposes.

No idea sorry, never configured this. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card