Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate ME to C9800

orsonrey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I need to migrate some AP 1852 with Mobility Express to newly 9800 Controller appliance but I'm quite confused on how to do it

From documentation, I found the conversion could be done with this command:

(Cisco Controller) >config ap unifiedmode <switch_name> <switch_ip_address>
<switch_name> and <switch_ip_address> is the name and IP address respectively of the WLC to which the APs need to be migrate.

And I found that in Mobility Express GUI there is a migrate network function, is it the same with this command?

Will this command make every member of the APs migrate to 9800 Controller?

And the APs are using static ip address, will the static ip address gone when it convert and try to join controller?

I am quite concerned that the ip address will be gone because the APs are in remote site

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...config ap unifiedmode <switch_name> <switch_ip_address>
 - The command above is only applicable for the APs running ME indeed guess <switch_name> should be <controller_name> , if possible later on use DHCP with option 43 (see below)

>...And the APs are using static ip address
 - Strongly advising to switch over to DHCP for all the APs (with DHCP option 43 to have hem discover the controller); static IP does not scale and has less flexible management or APs ; consider DHCP for APs a standard  and must have. Google with how to use the DHCP option 43 to find a controller will lead to 'tons of documentation'

- While you are working on the new 9800 controller and before production use , you can always evaluate it's intended configuration before production use with the (CLI) command show tech wireless ; feed the output into Wireless Config Analyzer
                    You will get tons of advisories  (a must do!)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi M, 

Thanks for the insight!

One more thing I want to ask, if you don't mind

As for the firmware, The AP need to have the supported capwap image to join the controller. Is upgrading the ME firmware will also upgraded the capwap image?

Because if it is possible, I want the AP doesn't need to download the firmware from controller, in case there is something blocking when downloading the firmware from controller

>Is upgrading the ME firmware will also upgraded the capwap image?
           No 

>Because if it is possible, I want the AP doesn't need to download the firmware from controller, in case there is something
    blocking    when downloading the firmware from controller
                    - This scenario should simply 'not exist' and solid network management will prevent that , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card