cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating an AP from one WLC to another using Cisco Prime

rickysahni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys.. a simple one... I need to bulk migrate different APs (3700s, 2600s, 3800s, 2700s) from one 5520 WLC to another (physically relocating each one in turn to a new DC).

I am looking to use a template on Cisco Prime to do this and amending the Primary controller name and secondary controller name in Controllers configuration, highlighting the target APs and then deploying.

Question is - do i need to select 'reboot AP' as part of the process.  Do the APs need to be rebooted after for the migration to take effect?

anything else i need to consider?

4 Replies 4

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends on the speed you need them to fail over. I generally use it so I dont have to wait for them to fail over.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use PI for Bulk move :

Prime -  Create a template Configuration > Templates > Lightweight Access Points. Configure primary and secondary controllers under AP Parameters  and then deploy to all access points.

Follow below thread for screenshot :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/move-bulk-accesspoints-to-an-other-controller/td-p/3936323

Question is - do i need to select 'reboot AP' as part of the process.  Do the APs need to be rebooted after for the migration to take effect?

YES will reboot to join the new WLC.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Great - will they reboot themselves automatically or do i need to select reboot AP within the template?

When go to menu

Config ---> templates-->Lioghtweight AP --> create template

template name - AP Move

AP Parameter

Check box reboot AP

balajibandi_0-1700846040871.png

Check box controller config

add new WLC

save and apply to AP groups

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help